Thread: Desk plans?

Desk plans?

Anybody know of some woodworking plans for an L-shaped or "modular" desk design? I'm doing creative work at home with multiple LCD monitors and need room to spread out a bit.

All the ones in the stores have the "pencil" desks, which my knees are always banging into (I'm 6'4" tall). They're also made like crap and cost $2000 (particleboard with a thin plastic laminate/fake wood veneer--yuck!!).

Jason

Jason, if you have walls available for your desk location, consider FastCap's SpeedBrace bracket system to cantilever the surface off the wall. I plan on using this in my new office, although for the moment due to budget, I'll be reconstituting my Ikea Effectiv modular system into the space. (also a no-knee-knock system and of high quality)

This bracket system is very nice and available in black, white and stainless. Available from CS Hardware and Woodworker's Hardware. The 28" brackets run about $24 each.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Like Jim implies, design your own instead of looking for plans. You already know some of what you'd like -- L shape, no knee-knockers. You may also want to make the desk surface higher than a desk designed for the average-height person.

So think further about what you want. How long do you want the arms of the L to be? Is just a desk surface sufficient, or do you want some storage underneath? Do you want to put the computer(s?) underneath or somewhere else? How 'bout a printer, a router, and such?

Just think it through, and a design will almost fall out. Or think it out loud on this board, and lots of folks will be happy to help out.

Jason,
    I was watching DYI TV this week and saw these,

WorkRite Sonoma Value Height-Adjustable Table starting as low as $1,446.30
    ...Our Value workcenters enable the user to position the worksurface to a comfortable seated height that is appropriate for their individual size and task...

Height range extends from a low of 22" to a high of 35" and has a lifting capacity of 270 lbs. The crank handle is removable.
    The company also makes electrical models,

WorkRite Sonoma Premium Height-Adjustable Tables, starting as low as $1,962.20
    ...The best ergonomic workstation for anyone working at a computer is not always apparent because there are so many types of ergonomic office furniture to choose from. Adjustability features from sitting to standing are the best because one of the causes of low back pain is sitting too long. The Premium Sonoma Series Workrite Electric Tables are top of the line ergonomic office equipment for home or work to help create and maintain excellent computer ergonomics. Sit Stand computer tables can help reduce repetitive strain injuries (RSIs) and create back pain relief from the ability to adjust the height for sitting and standing. These computer workstations adjust with the touch of a button. You move from sitting comfortably in your ergonomic chair to a standing position in a matter of seconds...
    Yes, they are expensive, but would be great for the type of work you're talking about. I found then at http://www.ergopro.com/index.cfm?obj=home No, I have no connection with the company nor do I own any of their products.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps