Thread: Anyone Have This Lathe?

Anyone Have This Lathe?

Does anyone have this lathe, the G0658 model? If how do you like? Doesn't look like there are any bed extensions.

Paul, I am generally a fan of Grizzly... But this lathe has at least one issue. Note that the "outboard" tool rest is on the wrong side of the lathe.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

I have a lot of Grizzly/ Shop Fox equipment. Their lathes have not gotten a warm welcome. Have seen many reviews that are not favorable. I don't own a Grizzly lathe, just what I've read. Hope it helps....Bruce

I talked to Griz a few days ago and they are waiting for the boat to arrive, so, I doubt you will find anyone that "has one". I'd call them...don't cost much with the 800# about the extensions.

I have one on order and look forward to delivery, someday. But, I bought a Jet while waiting so now I'll have a couple of mini's!

Doug

The tool post is on the right hand side of this G0658 lathe banjo (which is the wrong side).
    If you see Brian Brown's post on "My Newest turning tool":
    http://70.169.135.35/showthread.php?t=84240

The tool post is on the left hand side (which is the right side, the preferred side).

Imagine if you are using the G0658, how far away your tool rest support is in this case. I will guarantee you that you know what chattering is with that extra 2" + additional overhang from the tool rest, especially on deeper bowls.

Therefore I don't think Grizzly has done a good job on their home work and know what we woodturners want and need. If this lathe has gone through any field testing, there is no way the tester won't catch this mistake.

Not until Papa Grizzly picks up woodturning as a new hobby along the guitar making, I would stick to their bandsaw and jointer, table saw etc., except lathe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gordon

Thank you guys, very constructive and good, info. I had not noticed the tool rest deficiency