Thread: Euro Hinges

Question Euro Hinges

I am anticipating a possible problem mounting Euro hinges. I hope this description makes sense. I want to mount two doors, half overlay, on the same vertical panel (3/4" thick Melamine). The hinge plate mounting screws are 5/8" long. If I mount the hinges at the same vertical location I think the screws for the hinge plate will run into each other. I don't have the hinges yet so I don't know how thick they are. If they do, I presume either the left or right side hinge will have to be relocated vertically so the screws don't run into each other. I know this sounds stupid but if I have to shift the hinges won't the visual look weird - hinges at different heights?
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Byron, What

brand are your euro-hinges? Phone the distributor. If you're using a legitimate brand, they'll have TONS of very useful information in the way of usage sheets that'll end up answering your questions. Hope this helps. Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

Use barrel screws

Some options -
    1. use a common barrel (a.k.a. twin application screw - wwhardware part# B612.2010 and B612.2020) screw to mount both hinge mounting plates. This is the preferred method.
    2. make the height of the hinges different. Euro hinges don't show unless the door is open, so the only time both hinges would be seen is when the adjacent doors are open and someone is standing way back to see both hinges.

Hi Byron, For this application you would want to use a twin application screw. This will allow you to mount both mounting plates back to back on a 3/4" panel. You can get them from Woodworkers Hardware the part no for the screw is B612.2010 and the sleeve is B612.2020. WW hardware is at www.wwhardware.com
    Hope this helps.
    Take care,
    John