Thread: Any Have the Makita LXT Combos?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Any Have the Makita LXT Combos?

I just bought the LXT406 combo on auction
    http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...det&tag=LXT406

and noticed they also have a similar combo LXT401
    http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...det&tag=LXT401

The only difference seems to be on the drill torque and weight and no blower on circular saw? The 406 drill I got seems to be a pound lighter but less torque. Both seem to be new from the Makita website. Just want to make sure I didn't get hosed, but the 401 seems to be going for a lot more than what I got mine for ($500+ vs $360). Seems like I got a good deal, don't want buyer's remorse! This is just for home use, so no need for uber-torque I guess. If I need that, I'll go to my corded drills.

The combo you got will be fine (IMHO). Your drill is stronger than the compact version, which IMHO is also fine for a homeowner. The compact vsn is arguably better for a homeowner because if its lighter weight.

In my (limited) experience, diy hammerdrill situations are few and far between and are better handled with a rented or cheaply purchased corded hammer drill.

Yes, I already have a corded hammerdrill. I've used it a few times when having to lag into concrete.

I have the LXT 202 - Hammer drill and the Impact. It is great for my use. Corded and pneumatic tools solve problems they cannot. I love the Makita LXT line.

I bought the LXT600 a little over a year ago. I noticed it's listed as unavailable now but directs me to your kit for the manual. Looks like mine has the same P/N components as yours. Don't worry about the torque - this thing can take your wrist off if you aren't careful. This is a very good kit. Only caution I've heard is the contractors have had problems with the drill gears. There are three speeds. It's suggested to change one speed level at a time and pull the trigger to engage the gears. A little bit of a pain but I'm used to it now.

I personally had a problem with my charger. It had a fan rub noise but it was quickly replaced. Also, there are two different charger units an RA and SC. I'm not at home and can't remember but one is newer (better??) than the other - call Makita they will tell you.

Good Luck,

Mike

I bought the original Makita LXT combo kit sold at Home Depot maybe three months after intial release. Great kit and I used the heck out of it on my bus conversion project. The impact driver for screws and such is awesome!

Makita now has several drills in the LXT line. The original drill is a bit heavy, but it has loads of torque. I've almost broke my wrist several times when using a hole saw and the saw caught. My Makita 18 volt cordless drill has more torque than my corded 3/8" Dewalt drill. The new compact drills in the LXT line are really nice. They are light and well balanced.

My charger makes hideous amounts of fan noise when a battery is on the charger. I might end up buying the compact drill just to get the smaller batteries and a new charger along with a lighter drill for normal use.