Thread: Non-steamed walnut

Non-steamed walnut

Good morning all

Does anybody have pictures of a furniture project done using non-steamed walnut, incorporating the white sapwood instead of eliminating it. Did you have any trouble machining such wood, or any other finishing problems? I am planning a dresser and thought this make a unique piece.

Thanks

Mark

I made this Nightstand out of walnut and maple. you can kinda see in this pic
    the color variation in the top. i had no problems working it. it was slighlty softer but didnt cause any issues.

good luck
    Nick

"there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Very nice

What finish did you use?

minwax tung oil finish.
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Non-steamed walnut is not going to exhibit any different build or finishing characteristics than kiln-dried and steamed walnut will, outside of having much richer coloration. Leaving the sap wood is purely a personal preference matter. Many natural edge pieces are created this way as are turnings. The style of furniture you build will also dictate whether sap would look out of place or not...I'd not use it for a very, very formal style since it would be out of character, but wouldn't back away from it on something country, Shaker, mission, etc., if I felt it would be a nice and unique look for the setting it will be in.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

as far as the lumber i used in the picture above i am not sure whether or not it had been steamed... i just used the sapwood cause i liked the look of the top as such

Nick

I believe if the sapwood is white, it is unsteamed. The steaming process evens out the colors between sapwood and heartwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    I believe if the sapwood is white, it is unsteamed. The steaming process evens out the colors between sapwood and heartwood.

Most unsteamed walnut will have a very rich coloration, with especially nice purple hues to it, the sapwood will be shades of white, not the muted tan you normally get on steamed walnut

All natural walnut...

The dark wood is heartwood and the light is sapwood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    I processed a bizillion board feet of steamed walnut at a flooring factory, and from my experience the steaming only affects the surface color. One or two passes through a planer and your often back to white and chocolate- purple. We went from 15/16" to 3/4" and every bit of sap showed up bright white if present on the A face. Same thing using 8/4 for 1 3/4" doors. Its like steaming is a trick the mill plays to confuse the uninitiated, but its only skin deep.

In my own shop I had the pleasure to use a small amount of non-steamed walnut and air dried butternut, and it seemed to have similar "color" to its KD relatives but a general "luminescence" that the KD stuff lacks. It just sort of glows a bit more. Sap seems to mill fine, its a bit lighter in weight and softer as far as impact resistance.

I don't have any pictures of sap as it was my job to cut it out, but I do have about 900LF of sappy T&G paneling stored in my shed that was going to be thrown in the burn pile, rejected due to sap. I think its beautiful and am planing to use it for a wine cellar this winter. Have some sappy door casings to match. Might just make a sappy door too!

When sap was allowed sound knots generally were too and products made with it were sold as "Country Walnut".

Very interesting Peter. Thanks for the info. I think I have a line on some unsteamed walnut from a local guy, he wants 4.60/bf, which seems in the ballpark, especially compared to the shrink-wrap crap from big box.

Mark