Thread: Method of gluing solid wood edging to MDF

Method of gluing solid wood edging to MDF

Hi All, I'm making a table top with a piece of veneered MDF with 3/4" x 1" W solid wood edging. I usually use biscuits to attach the edging but wondered if there are better methods. I sometimes have alignment problems with the biscuits (normal for me) and the solid wood stands either too proud or "under" the top surface. Of course this raises my blood pressure so I wondered if anybody had a better mouse trap? Thanks. Alan T.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

I'd still use the biscuits and purposely put the edging proud of your veneered surface and flush trim it with a router. There are many techniques to match the veneer with your edging. Another one is to build a "sled" or longish extended baseplate for your router to bolt to with a mortising router bit installed. The mass of the sled allows you to control the route better and slowly chew down the edging until it is flush with the top.

Finally, analyze why you have alignment problems with biscuits. This will be the best way to fix your problem.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Alan,
    There are companies which sell T&G or V edge banding router bit sets.

If you are able to cut the edging to the exact thickness of the veneered mdf, you should be able to use small C or F clamps to keep the edging aligned vertically while your big clamps apply horizontal pressure on the glue joint.
    Place the small ones every foot or so, and when the glue is dry some minor sanding should give a perfect match.

I recently did this. I went "proud" like Chris and used pocket screws to attach banding and put plugs in the pockets

Some time ago I built a flush trim base for my router from plexiglass. Everybody should have one of these! It works great.

After fluch trimming band and plug I put blue painters tape by the seam and carefully finish sanded. The pocket screws allowed me to do keep working...start to finish I was totally done before the glue dried.

Colin

I know exactly where you are coming from. That drives me nuts too. Last veneered MDF panels I grooved with a 6mm cutter and made a tongue in the edge banding, if you can call 1" wide that. It was quite a bit extra work, but the glueup was well worth the effort.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...SC01517-sm.jpg

Brad

Thanks and another question

Thanks guys, a lot of great ideas there. I think I'm going to try several of your ideas on scrap and see how it works for me. I really hate it when I plane through the veneer when leveling the wood edging.

What do you think about the router table fences that allow you to remove the overhang with a router and flush trim bit? ANy good?

Thanks again for all the great suggestions.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.