Thread: Small Projects

Small Projects

Hi all,

I am retired and have most of the typical power equipment tools in my shop. I consider myself an intermediate level woodworker. I don't wish to start a full time business, but I would like to be able to sell some small project items. I did a search and got some good ideas on projects to make; however, I didn't find any that specifically dealt with earning some money.

Would some of you fellas and gals who earn yourselves some money to support your habit give me some food for thought?

I have thought of boxes, wooden toys, and that sort of thing, but that really doesn't appeal to me that much; however, I would like to keep it in the "small projects" category.

This has likely been discussed before...maybe several times, so if it has, could someone please provide me a link to the thread(s)?

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Garner View Post
    Hi all,

I am retired and have most of the typical power equipment tools in my shop. I consider myself an intermediate level woodworker. I don't wish to start a full time business, but I would like to be able to sell some small project items. I did a search and got some good ideas on projects to make; however, I didn't find any that specifically dealt with earning some money.

Would some of you fellas and gals who earn yourselves some money to support your habit give me some food for thought?

I have thought of boxes, wooden toys, and that sort of thing, but that really doesn't appeal to me that much; however, I would like to keep it in the "small projects" category.

This has likely been discussed before...maybe several times, so if it has, could someone please provide me a link to the thread(s)?

Carl
    I can't help you to much, I am just a 2 year beginner so I have not done a lot but the things that I have done that people really wanted were.

End grain cutting boards, I finally just had to tell people no I do not make them any more.
    http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/cutting

I made some Adirondack chairs for my wife and a pair each for my daughters. I have 5 different people now that want me to build them chairs.

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/chairs

Good luck and have fun doing it or just don't do it.
    Last edited by Bill Huber; 02-05-2009 at 12:43 AM.

Bill,
    I can see why on both...very nice indeed!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

I started off making smaller projects for sales at craft sales and consignment shops, and got "pushed" into larger items. Still, a lot of the "smaller" things I made are being requested and sold, and I use up my leftover material to make them when time permits.

Some of the big sellers are: bookcases (any size, sturdy and solid enough not to buckle over time), quilt racks (both hanging and free standing) and magazine racks (like pictured below). (These were a project in Woodworking magazine, I can find the issue if you're interested).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Typically what I see at local craft fairs and such that seem to sell well are, what not shelves:

Mirrors & sconces:

Quilt racks:

Small boxes of assorted sizes sell well also.

Wood toys do well also, but are time consuming to make.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

For me the big order item was themed coat racks. Made one for my daughter and it blossomed out from there from word of mouth from her friends. Made so many that I can't stand to think about making another one. Only thing is coat racks don't sell good, but "school backpack/coat" racks do sell well. Same thing only different terminology. They are fast to make if you assembly line them on a multiple basis, and the cost-to-income ratio is not too bad on them. PM me if you need more information, descriptions, pics, etc.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

build small boxes and call them "stash boxes"

potheads buy them up like crazy lol

I make and sell small items. Many toys for toddlers. I also make and sell small coin banks and domed top cedar trunks. ( Small ones 24" long). I have made butter churns, wooden pitchforks, 1800's style snow sleds, doll cradles,cornucopias, shaker boxes, football trophys and wooden buckets. 48 different items in all. I sold $1230 worth of stuff in one day last October at a rural Texas festival. Paid for some new power tools.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Go to www.sommerfeldtools.com and look for their "Miniature Raised Panel Desk Top Accessories". I've made the in-boxes for gifts, and every body loved them. That might be an item that "office" type folks might want to identify their individuality. If you do get the plans, I would suggest buying the DVD as well, because working on those small of pieces on your router table can be rather dangerous. Good luck.