Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: recieving freight shipment

You won't have any trouble. The 1624 only weighs about 250# in the box. Even if the driver can only drop the box, the individual parts are easily carried by one person. You will want some help to assemble, especially when you put the leg assemblies onto the bottom of the ways. Pay special attention to the legs. They do have a direction to them. Double checked mine and still had two of them perfectly backwards. Finally straightened them out after a year of use. You're going to love it.

I've been toying with the idea of mounting it on a cabinet I have that has draws and enclosed cupboards. Trying to figure in a some down draft dust collection.
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 05-20-2008 at 10:35 AM.

Red face I met a guy @ a Houston Woodworking Show . . . .

I met a guy @ a Houston Woodworking Show in the MiniMax display area. He had bought a MM16 months previous. When I asked him how hard it was it to move it through a doorway, he told me the following.

Told me the freight company called early one morning to advise him a large heavy crate was headed his way. He waited & waited. No truck showed up all day long. He called the freight company a few times and kind of "grumbled". Late that afternoon, here comes the freight truck backing down his driveway . . . . .

The reason the driver waited to the end of the day was so HE COULD SEE THE MM16 ! ! ! out of the box . . . . The driver helped him get it into his shop and un-crate it . . . . . The driver returned the next day, Saturday to help him assemble / set it up. Oh yea, he said the driver even brought over some lumber in the rough to try it out . . .
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

money talks

My shop is my rear entry garage. My Oneway (900 lbs) showed up out front. I slipped the driver a $100 "cash" and he proceded to back his 40' trailer 2 blocks down my long long long alley complete with a Dog leg turn. And with a hand powered pallet jack and a lot of blood sweat and tears put the thing through a 4' door in my shop. Now your gonna say "$100 chump" but seeing what that driver had to do it was cheap.
    Jerry

Paul,

When I got my 3520, the driver wheeled it into my shop and placed right where I needed it. They're not obligated to do it, but most drivers are more than willing to help. Let the trucking company know about your private road and they may be able to downsize the truck.

Good luck.

John

OK, got my lathe today. Here is how it went. I e-mailed Wood Craft to see if they had any idea when to expect my shipment and would the trucking company call me in advance so I could make arrangements with work and get help off loading it. Got e-mail response in less than 10 minutes. Gave me the phone number of the company and statue, it is in my area and should be delivered today. Got nervous because I wanted to talk to the trucker about getting up my private drive. Anyway after several calls to different companies involved with getting my lathe here, and I talking to the driver (her, with a beautiful southern accent, we don't here that much in these parts). She stated that it would be delivered tomorrow because of the load they had.

After discussion, I found out there terminal was only about 18 miles from me so I offered to pick it up if I could find someone to help me get it in my truck. She was the only driver working at that time said she would meet me there and load it with a fork lift. We met, she jumped out of her truck went into the warehouse got the lathe on a fork lift and gently put it in the back of my truck. She could really handle that forklift. I think it worked out better for both of us. One less delivery for her when they are short handed and easier for me.

Oh YA, she wasn't bad look'n either!!
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 05-27-2008 at 9:57 PM.