Thread: Woodturning... The best medication?

Woodturning... The best medication?

So the last time I went to the doctor, he said I should monitor my blood pressure periodically. Yesterday I turned all afternoon. Today my blood pressure is lower than it has ever been. So do you think I should turn my lathe, tool and wood reciepts into the insurance company to be reimbursed like a prescription? If they paid me, it would sure make those trips to woodcraft a lot easier to pay for. Just wishful thinking. At least this very expensive hobby may keep me from havin a stroke. That's what I tell SWMBO anyway.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Once again my man Brian has proven my theory. Turning exotics has the same effect as smoking dope, or drinking beer or wine!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Brian, maybe you should go on disability....and you know what the treatment will be. Check to see if your insurance covers bowl blanks.
    And now for something completely different....

Anyone who has seen my turning technique calls it a disability!
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Oh! Brutal honesty.

Gee Brian, I seem to rememeber a couple of nice posts of yours. I'vee always figured any way I can chew, gnaw, scrape oor tear the unwanted portion of the wood off to get it to look like I want it, is OK. All the fancy cuts and tools just make it easier to achieve the goal. My BP is the lowest since I started turning again, that it has been in thirty years. Maybe you should get your Ins. Co. to fund a study.
    Bob

It's Zen like.......more meditation than medication......Bruce
    It does amaze you when you forget about all the daily B.S. and think only of the wood, shape, feel, tool placement, ect... how all the stress leaves your body. I don't think I've ever not slept well after a few hours in the shop turning, best sleep/ relaxing medicine God ever created.

I have to agree with you Brian that woodturning reduces stress! It's great to have a place where you can escape and focus on something that is really fun to do - and then when you're done you actually have something to show for your efforts!

Glad to hear your blood pressure is improving!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Yep works good. They have taken me off one of my med's and if it keeps going down they may take me off the other.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Please, don't even mention it to your health insurance company! Can you imagine what it wood do to the cost of lathes, wood, and gouges. Especially when you had to get a prescription for the really good wood.

But I agree, turning is good for the body and the soul.

Stress reduction will generally also help with blood pressure...turning can very much be a stress reducer!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    So the last time I went to the doctor, he said I should monitor my blood pressure periodically. Yesterday I turned all afternoon. Today my blood pressure is lower than it has ever been. So do you think I should turn my lathe, tool and wood reciepts into the insurance company to be reimbursed like a prescription? If they paid me, it would sure make those trips to woodcraft a lot easier to pay for. Just wishful thinking. At least this very expensive hobby may keep me from havin a stroke. That's what I tell SWMBO anyway.
    My two daughters each won tickets to Bandimier Speed Way here in Denver. Its a drag strip. They had street mods, dragsters, top fuelers and 6 turbines. We had a ball. We walked past the pits and saw all the rigs that pull those cars around. We saw engines that put out 6000hp (hooked to a lathe, that would turn one big bowl!)

Anyway, after looking at all the engines and tiers and trucks a fuel, turning suddenly looked like a very affordable hobby!

Cheaper than a bass boat (if you don't include cost of new shop building).
    Richard in Wimberley

maybe you could get them to fund a project to see the effects of rare and exspencive woods on peoples health, like snakewood
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Blog Entries
    With 4 kids in ages from 6 years old up to 21 ( That I LOVE Dearly) getting out of the house and into MY shop is RELAXING.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

I enjoy turning more than flat work but I do more flat work . Both types are very relaxing, don't know if it does anything for my BP but I love it.

Dennis