Thread: This rotary is KILLING me

This rotary is KILLING me

I have to do a sample wine bottle . It has a graphic of a building on it. I have a raster of the building and then I vector cut some deeper lines outlining the prominent features of the building. Using the rub and buff the vector lines really pop out and once this is perfected I think it will be worth the effort.

Well the problem is my raster and vector cut line image is not lining up right. After many hours of tinkering I am closer but it still not right on.

I have reduced my speed to 40% on the vectoring to keep the jerking of the bottle down.

I also figured glass being kind of slick I wrapped a little duct tape around the bottle where it comes into contact with the rubber wheels.

I am thinking some wide fat rubber bands might give me even more traction.

They are full wine bottles so there is plenty of weight to them.

Any help would be appreciated !
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Scira View Post
    They are full wine bottles so there is plenty of weight to them.
    Is there a weight limit on the rotary attachment? I'd try it with an empty and see if that's the problem: you may simply be overloading the motor that drives the rotation.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I don't think it's a weight problem, it's a problem in what you're trying to do. You're pushing the limitations of what that type of unit it made to do (in my opinion).

It's held in place by gravity. I think you'll have a hard time holding something in place with gravity, then having it raster, then "rapid" back to a new starting point for the vector to start. The process of relocating the rotary axis, with a item being held in place by gravity, is where you'll get some slight slippage and it'll be off.

I think you can probably overcome it to some degree, but it's a tough one (once again, in my opinion).

The one's with the headstock and tailstock are better suited for this type of work, but the one you have is also well suited for things that aren't well suited for that type. You know how it all works, right? The work you get will always be perfect for the other style

I'm sure with the brain trust we have here, someone can help, but I do think it's an uphill challenge. You need to figure out a way to hold the bottle in place. If that little tension roller would work, that would be a step in the right direction, but that doesn't fit for that item, does it?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Rotary Help

Something Epilog could add to the Rotary Software would be the ability to slow down the tool movement when is is moving past blank areas or going back to the home position.

The sudden fast movements hurt any chance of staying in position.

Maybe you could place a color coded line in the image and set the color code to engrave at a slow speed and zero power.

Anthony,

I have the rotary attachment and think you are pushing the limits of what it will do. If I understand your post you are running the job as a combined job, Raster and Vector toghether. So what the machine does is raster then "reset" to zero to vector. This reset happens rapidly and with a wine bottle having the small end and large end and being full, I don't think you are getting to true zero each time, hence your image not being lined up.

Here is what I would try. Run the job as two jobs one raster and one vector. I would use masking tape on the bottle and rotary and make my own zero mark with a straight edge and fine marker. Then run the first job, manually line up the mark and run the second job.

good luck!!
    Mark Plotkin
    Epilog Mini 45w X3

Maybe you could place a color coded line in the image and set the color code to engrave at a slow speed and zero power.
    That'd work. Particularly if you have a range of colours.

First vector line, slow, zero power, just after the raster, or on the bottom edge.

If your machine works like mine, it'll then be in 'slow' mode until it gets a speed change. Second vector colour, slow, zero power right at the top of the job.

3rd vector colour, the vector bit of the job. Good luck.

Calling it a day

Well this one has me beat for the day. I am getting close and like I said once I get the thing dialed in the end product should be awesome.

I think rubberbands like the ones they use to keep lobster claws from opening. They would be small and wide. That should give enough gription
    (is that a word?) to make it work.

The other problem there are little nibs on the bottom of the bottle. This was causing some problems so I vectored a peice of acrylic in a circle the diamater of the bottle and secured it on the bottom of the bottle with some double stick tape.

I am getting there, I just need to play with it a little more.

I will try and play with the diffrent color lines in the morning.
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

This is what I would do , run the job as a single , make the outlines of the building solid black and then the lesser detail a shade of grey , convert to a bitmap and then run at a suitable power once.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Rotary

Anthony

I would run the bottle twice

First make sure the bottom of the bottle does NOT touch the back side of the rotary attachment. ( this can cause drag )

1. Make a start mark ( something you can use more than once)
    then run the raster

2. relocate back to the start mark and run your vector.
    run slowly the faster it goes the more likely it will slip.

Just what I would try

ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Scira View Post
    The other problem there are little nibs on the bottom of the bottle. This was causing some problems so I vectored a peice of acrylic in a circle the diamater of the bottle and secured it on the bottom of the bottle with some double stick tape.
    If you have clearance for a stop to be attached to the acrylic and use a block to touch from there and a stationary location for starting locations ... do this between the raster and vector cuts.
    IMHO Mike
    Last edited by Michael Wintermute; 05-19-2008 at 8:06 AM.

Blog Entries
    Rather than doing it manually, can you add in a vector line with (near) zero power as the last cut (assuming the machine doesn't optimize cutting order or you can manually set order)? If you can, lead that cut back to the zero position. A very low power should make no cuts on the bottle but automatically line it up for the start of the raster cut.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Perhaps you could run the entire operation as a raster, and simulate your vectored line by color coding it, and giving it slower speed and higher power than the other parts of the drawing.

IMHO the Epilog rotary tool leaves a bit to be desired. I hope they design a new one, as I like the quality of their products, but this rotary thing just isn't engineered for the real world where imperfectly shaped stuff slips and wiggles.

Dave
    Last edited by David Fairfield; 05-19-2008 at 9:58 AM.