Thread: Golden Rule

Golden Rule

Has any one out there used the golden rule as it would be applied to round forms. I see it on the lamination pro software but it doesn't list it in the help menu. I have always just turned until I liked the way it looked but would like to try applying phi.

Art, this is probably more that you want to know, but

http://www.goldennumber.net/

is a very extensive site dedicated to the "golden number", etc. Phi (1.618) or (.618) depending upon how you apply it, can be a very effective way to determine pleasing vessel proportions. Height versus diameter and position of the widest diameter are just two handy applications of this magical number.

I was trying to figure out how "Do unto others as you would have done unto you" applied to turning. =) I personally don't want to be put on a lathe, spun around really fast, and have sharp metal applied to me. =)

Wood Magazine had a thing on Fibonacci last year... they went over Phi in decent detail... I think it was a throw off from all the hype the DaVinci code was causing... in the book the main character has a discussion with his class about the "Golden Mean" and Phi.

study the Greeks!

I have seen the application discussed on the history channel. and they mentioned pottery as an application. I personaly know one turner who tries to incorperate it in his works.
    I just spin it and remove everything that doesn't look right. No help I guess, but the bestI can do.
    Bob

There have been a lot of discussions about the golden rule, golden mean, rule of thirds, etc. What you said, "I have always just turned until I liked the way it looked" is probably as good a definition as any. There are some mathematical equations to calculate it, but in the end it boils down to what looks good to the human eye.

I agree with Curt. I had a gentleman who had been turning for about 40 yrs. told me the definition of the Golden Rule is: "There are no rules." Turn it till it looks good to your eye and it is done. He said I am no math wizard. Had to laugh but he is right. I turn till it is pleasing to my eye and put the finish on.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I agree with Bernie. Amen.

Dennis

I think Curt and Bernie have hit the nail on the head, it is a matter of perspective. If your piece sits high on a bookshelf for example, the golden mean will not be of much use.
    Randy
    Much Work Remains To Be Done Before We Can Announce Our Total Failure to Make Any Progress