Thread: Cutting dies on a laser?

Cutting dies on a laser?

I was told today, that someone somewhere was manufacturing dies (for die presses) using a laser system. Can this really be true? If so - how? Which substrate? Method?

Best regards

Peter

That would probably be a high powered yag, not a CO2 system.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Might be talking about Steel Rule Die's. I think there are people using the laser to make them.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I had some beautiful steel rule dies made by a company called Appledie that were laser cut. The material is 3/4" plywood. Not sure of the wattage but they cut steel as well.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Dies from a laser

There are a lot (and probably a majority) of dies made using a laser in part of the process. We use high speed steel rule dies in the production of pasteboard products like pop cartons. The substrate is usually a good quality plywood, 1/2" - 3/4" baltic birch and the slots for the die are cut using a laser. The labeling and other identifying info is burned into it as well. The die makers then add the steel rule to form the cutting/creasing edges. A great blending of computer guided accuracy and the art of making dies.

Jim
    Growing older is mandatory.
    Growing up is entirely optional.

Remember; it's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Using a laser also opens up opportunities. I designed my substrate with outer locating holes that I later inserted linear bushings. I also had them cut matching components with dowel holes that alowed me to create simple die fixtures. Everything aligned perfectly.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.