Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's gonna be a Wixey Weekend

Thanks guys. This is getting much clrarer now. Sounds like they ought to show a 3rd way (bracketless) in the instruction as well.
    Use the fence Luke

Doug,

You're going to love the Wixey Digital Fence readout. I got last November with the angle gauge for $100 and it's changed the way I work. It make the TS so convenient for Rips, Dados and grooves. Set ups take a split second. I still do test cuts but rarely if ever have to correct since I'm easily within 0.005" every time. If only I had a digital blade height indicator built into the saw...
    I have the old readout and never noticed a problem reading it, except for some sawdust. Mine is on a Delta cabinet saw. I set up the conventional way since I didn't know about the close-coupled mounting and I already have the indicator strips stuck to the Aluminum extrusions so I won't change it. I do get a lot dust in that gap so I would go to the trouble of close-coupling if I was starting from scratch. I think my installation took me 1/2 hour which was nice though.

Good Luck and enjoy.
    I don't have the planer gauge, so can't comment on that.
    Last edited by Gary Muto; 05-22-2008 at 8:45 AM. Reason: spelling
    Gary

One down - One to go

Took a couple trips to the hardware store but I wrapped the harder one up this morning,
    WixeyTS1.jpgWixeyTS2.jpgWixeyTS3.jpg
    Use the fence Luke

I think that fixing it directly to the under side of the fence as you have done is the best way in the end it just takes a bit longer.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Thanks for posting pics. It looks like I'll be doing the same job in a few weeks as someone offered me a brand new one that he can't use for $75.

Got my Mojo Workin Now

To satisfy the picture police:
    WixeyBP1.jpgWixeyBP2.jpg

Ran the calibration setup and got 1.565 on the planer gauge and 1.569 or 1.570 on my digital calipers. I'm going to check tomorrow to see if I've got 4-5 thou off on the leveling bolt or to mark my setup board and make sure I'm measuring the exact same spot, but otherwise it appears to be working.
    Haven't had a chance to power up the TS for test cuts and calibrating yet.
    Use the fence Luke

On the TS install, one thing worth mentioning is that at least on a PM66 it's a pretty close fit doing it this way. Dont have the track protruding enough from the fence and the readout wont slide. Protrude too much and it interferes with fence travel. I've got maybe around 3/64" gap between the fence and the track. I ended up using 10-24 1" flat head phillips machine screws and tapped the holes on the fence rail. I drilled/countersunk and tapped the rail for 6, but when I used a transfer punch to mark the rail holes thru the track I got the mark askew from vertical (it's tough working upside-down or on your back) on two of them and couldn't thread them in without binding or pulling the track out alignment. I tried it with just 4 and it seemed sufficient so I quit while I was ahead.
    Last edited by Doug Shepard; 05-24-2008 at 9:35 PM.
    Use the fence Luke