Thread: questions on building a shop.

questions on building a shop.

I am about to step into the unknown, namely building my own shop, and could use some advice. My wife and I decided to purchase a new house closer to my work in a better school district. The only problem is the new house only has a two car garage so there goes my shop space. We do have an open area of land, roughly equal to the space of a two car garage, and the wife has said that I can build a shop (assuming we can afford it). I have no idea how much something like this might cost (construction per square foot) or who to contact for building the shop or which magazines or books to consult for plans. If anyone has gone through this recently or wishes to offer suggestions/advice on how to get this done, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,
    Roger

Dan Bussiere Guest
    Roger,
    Before you go too far into the plan, first make sure you can build on that section of land. Many townships have very restrictive rules you may not be aware of. I have learned this the hard way!
    Dan

Roger

This is what I did. I live in central Illinois. Heated and air conditioned. Heat is radiant and I believe with my whole heart that it was the best decision of anything else I did. 3 1/2 ton AC. 12 ft ceiling. Only a few hundred extra to make up for the extra height. I don't have to worry about smashing lights with a full sheet of ply. Put the most and best insulation in that you can afford. I put dust collection runs in the floor before we poured. Bright T-5 lighting, lost of lighting. I saved a lot of money by doing all the plumbing/electrical myself. I also shingled, installed windows, doors and siding along with finishing the interior myself and by being the contractors grunt labor. With the contractor we framed, covered outer walls and roof. Contractor also installed facia and soffits. (he had a really nice motorized sicsors lift) My interior walls are all OSB painted flat white. My shop is 32x44 with a seperate finishing room, office, and toilet/deep sink/heat system room. I heat the shop with a 50 gallon water heater. Heated water at the sink is done with an instant electric heater. I bought the best windows/doors I could find. The only regret I have is that I really wished that I had installed some kind of system to get sunlight into the shop through the roof. I know I could add one now but I blew in 25 inches of insulation and I don't feel like wading through that. I spent right at $30/sq ft. Feel free to ask if you have specific questions.

Terry
    Last edited by Terry Quiram; 04-09-2004 at 8:50 AM.

Listen to Dan...before you even begin to think about the possiblities, talk with you local building and zoning officer to see what is allowed and what the setback requirements, etc., may be. Also beware if you have any form of homeowners association...they can be worse than the local authorities!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Also if you not on city sewer that area may be where you septic system is & you wouldn't be able to build there because of that.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Angry

Roger - The permit folks will most likely tell you, but be sure you understand the percentage of impervious cover you can place on your property. That includes buildings, walkways, driveways etc. You may be pretty close already. I know that at my last residence I didn't have enough room for a separate shop. Single story footprints normally occupy more space than multi storied houses. If I recall correctly, in Austin, TX it is only 40%.

Good luck - hope it works out for you.

-- Kevin

I too am building a workshop and I have recieved a LOT of valuable advice about my project on this forum. Please look at the following threads:

- Frank's Workshop Construction Project

- Frank's Wrkshop: Dust Collection Plans

- Franks Workshop: Electrical Plans

I estimate that my workshop is going to cost me about $40 (US) a square foot to build. I am doing most of the work myself.

Have fun. I know that I am going to.