Thread: Thoughts on the g0462

Thoughts on the g0462

I've started bowl turning and i'm quickly out growing the rikon mini we have at home. I'm looking at the g0462 but i know the spindle speeds are high for bowl turning. Is there a way that you could get a new vs motor for it? Option 2 might be getting a new pulley made up. I'd just need to draw it up in 3d modeling software and my uncle would probably just charge me for price of materials. The only other thing i'm thinking of doing is saving up for a jet 1642 at $1600 or the vega benchtop at $1295. I'm asking this so i can figure out how to save my money. I'm only 15 after all.

Andrew Grizzly is not highly regarded for their lathe's. I don't know where you live but you might want to check Craigs List, you will probably be able to pick up a used lathe and add to your tool collection, face plates ect.. cheaply. I just upgraded to a PM3520b and love having a larger swing 20" over bed and way to big over the end. Also love the sliding head stock when doing bowls, and the 0-3000 speed control. A lot of money though. Good Luck, don't get to excited over the first lathe you see, really check it out, I know a couple of weeks ago a guy had a powermatic 90 (16" swing) on CL in Tucson for $400 or best offer. Keep looking, ask at the local clubs if any one is selling, watch the newspaper, check at the local wood shops, check their boards for guy's selling equipment. Most of all tell the people your dealing with that your 15 and really want to get into bowl turning and your paying for this by your self, people will usually help a younger person get started, save some money. Remember you'll want bowl gouges, chucks, faceplates, sharpening station, ect...Good Luck...Bruce

Bruce i updated my location. I don't see anything appealing on craigslist for the lehigh valley or philly. I'll be attending my first club meeting next tuesday at my local woodcraft. I'll check their board and talk with some of the members. I have all the tools that i need right now. Supernova2(may just need a different insert), gouges, wolverine set up, etc.

Andrew,
    Many (most?) of us wish we had begun turning at your age instead of 30 or 40 years later. You have the time to learn and improve your skills, perhaps to become an outstanding turner relatively early in life.

Meanwhile, you will also be wanting a car (or equivalent motor vehicle) soon, so there are priorities to consider. Perhaps parents will provide a car, or a lathe, or neither.

Probably better to save $$ for a good lathe, like either of the two that you mentioned. Both have many satisfied owners. And watch the ads for a good used machine. It would also seem that you have some computer skills which might be used to generate some part-time income.

Just some thoughts.
    Richard in Wimberley

Thanks for the input Rich. I know i will have to pay part of the money towards a new car. But i'm not eligible to get my permit until 02/04/09. The money is in the bank for that. Next summer i'll be looking for a summer job, quite possibly as a clerk at the local woodcraft. This summer is too busy, week long boyscout camp and week long slack packing trip. Plus family vacation. Parents are paying me for work around the house. Just gotta save my pennies from mowing the lawn and doing work around the house. Come to think of it, the local club owns a PM. I'll probably be able to use that.

Andrew the Nova 1624-44 I think is on sale at Woodcraft for $999. Excellent lathe with 8 speeds and the low one of 215 RPM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.