Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kitchen cabinet installation question

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Blaustein View Post

Funny that you mention that. Every time I have to do even a small thing, like build a simple plywood base and level it, it takes me a long time, and we joke that a real carpenter would have finished the job in the time it takes me to set everything up. We are pretty much learning carpentry as we go. And it doesn't help that the house we're fixing up is 2 hrs from where we live. With the price of gas these days, and all the trips back and forth, I could have hired someone local to do it all and saved money. But where's the fun in that...
    That's the "Can do" spirit, are you a ex-Seabee?

Good luck.

I have been reading this thread with interest and thinking about what I would do to solve this problem. I would first replace all the toe kicks in the base of the cabinets and get them ready for installation. This will later be covered with a continuous piece that you can get at any of the Lowe's or Home Depots in your area. Now for the backs of the cabinets. I would mark a level line along the wall where the cabinets are going to be installed. This is done to make sure they are installed level. Now the creative part of my thinking. Since you are having trouble being able to hit the studs while mounting the cabinets I would drop another level line down one inch from the first and another two inches below this line. Cut this two inch section out staying about one inch in the each end and replace it with a two inch strip of 1/2" plywood screwed to the studs. You now have a solid strip to attach your cabinets to and your installation with go in level as you follow the line you made earlier. This can also be done on the top cabinets where two strips one top and on bottom installed to screw to. Be sure not to put the strip across the stove opening as that cabinet is a little short to cover it. This is just what I think I would do to make it a clean neat installation that isn't going to twist or come loose later.
    Last edited by Gary Lange; 05-24-2008 at 9:57 AM.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

OK, I'm suprised no one has mentioned the "cheap, fast & easy way"

You could just get a tube of liquid nail, apply it to the back of the nailer and back edge of the left sidewall, install it as normal and after it sets up it's going to be difficult to move.