Thread: Any Ideas for 3rd grader Fathers Day Gifts?

Lightbulb Any Ideas for 3rd grader Fathers Day Gifts?

My wife, a 3rd grade teacher, wants me to make something out of wood that she can give to her 3rd graders to finish (paint etc) and they will give them as a gift to thier father on fathers day

So i am looking for ideas on what to make.

Here are my basic parameters
    1) Easy to duplicate (24 copies)
    2) Kid friendly
    3) A dad would like
    4) Limited time, school ends soon, and fathers day is @ 3 weeks away

I have most of the wood tools, so that shouldn't restrict me

My wife had heard of making a simple block, glueing a picture, and cutting off a corner and calling it a 'chip off the ole block'

Any ideas?
    The wisest thing in the world is to cry out before you are hurt.

Board-Stretcher 101 : I cut it twice and it's still too short. I don't understand?

A pegged tie/belt rack would be easy (if you have a drill press). You can get the pegs cheap online.

Birdhouse. It's not really a father-specific thing, but my kids loved finishing theirs.

You should also surf the Michael's arts and crafts site for inspiration. They have lots of wood arts and craft stuff that just needs assembly and finishing.

In fact, you might find that it's easier and only marginally more expensive to buy the crafts from there instead of making yr own.

I just made a toolbox with my 6 year old nephew. I used 1 x 8 board, which I used for the bottom, ripped basically in half or the sides, and used for the ends, with a quick 45 degree cut to clip the sides a bit. a 3/4 dowel, put into holes you cut with the DP and a forstner bit and you are done. You can either have the third graders screw it together (in pilot holes you drill/countersink) or you could just glue it together and get it to hold with some brads.

It was a HUGE hit with my nephew. Now my kids want to make them as well.

chip

i love the idea of chip off the old block....easy, understandable right away...but i would glue the chip on and have it pink or blue depending on the sex of the child...the big block can be any color the kid likes...take photos of what you made in the end and show us....

Craig,

Doug Stowe (author of several books on box-making) has a short article at Fine Woodworking's web site called "Kids Woodworking Projects" (http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=30376).

He provides links to three projects. The one called "A Small Box" is worth a look. He provides a plan and recomends which steps kids can do.

I don't think a FWW on-line subscription is needed for that URL, but I could be wrong about that. (I have a subscription but don't need to log in each time I revisit.)

Cary