Thread: Moving Machines Again!

Moving Machines Again!

I just bought a house in Roseville, CA, after moving up from Orange County, CA. To make long story short, I have two questions.
    First, I have to move all of my WW machines from one house in Roseville, to another. I used Allied to move me here from OC, however I'm considering using an actual machine mover to do the second move. Any suggestions on who to use or other thoughts? By the way, I was shocked to find out that I have about 15K pounds of woodworking machines and equipment. First movers estimated 8K pounds.
    Second, the kitchen has corian coounter tops and all have paint overspray on them. Is there any kind of solvent that I can use to take off the overspray?
    OK, there is a third question. The finish on the cabinet doors under the sink, is not great. Is there an easy way to dress up the finish, short of sanding it all down and refinishing?
    Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the area Derek. I'm just across 65 in Rocklin.

Moving those machines... I can't offer any advice as I move all of my own. Even the 800+ lb units as I simply don't trust the gorilla's to move it correctly.

Overspray on the countertops.... my personal favorite is a plastic credit card or scraper, corian is tough enough to handle stiff plastic.

The finish touchup would depend on what it is currently. Poly, nothing short of strip and refinish will look good. Lacquer, depends on what brand it is and how long it's been there but Lacquer should be able to dissolve itself and re-level.

mike

Derek,
    Cost me $20K to move my equipment from the Bay Area to Mid Michigan. The movers did do some damage to some of my items but overall I wasn't too disappointed.
    My son is located in the Sacramento area, has a forklift business and a couple semi tractor trailers along with some experience moving some very heavy equipment. If you are interested PM me and give me your contact information and I will contact him to see if he is interested in getting in touch with you. He gets pretty busy and may not be available but it may be worth a try.
    I have another son that lives and works in the Sacramento area and works for a commercial mover. He free lances once in a while. He too has his own rig and many years of experience moving businesses. I have no idea what they will charge but it may be worth checking into.
    Last edited by David G Baker; 05-23-2008 at 1:16 PM.
    David B

David, that's amazing. Because they underestimated my weight, my move cost me $3300. They did take extra care with the machines, of course $200 in an envelope, along with the promise of another $200 at completion, didn't hurt. I've heard that regular movers are used to wrapping items and taking care, so they are good to use when moving machines. They were, however, not prepared for the weight, so all those mobile bases were put to the test. Can you imagine getting a 20" planer to go up a ramp! A lift gate would have been so much easier. The more I think about this, the more I really don't want to do it.

Depending on how far you have to move, and how much heavy stuff you have, there are a few options.

For run-of-the mill woodworking machines - 300# table saws and the like - I would suggest calling PODS. They will drop a relatively light weight shipping container on your property and pick it up whenever you call them. You would be able to take your time loading and and stabilizing the load.

My wife and I will probably be moving to Arizona or New Mexico in 5-10 years time from New England and I have to move some REALLY heavy machine tools (Bridgeport mills, 16" metal lathes, surface grinders, etc., as well as a Powermatic model 72 and various old arn jointers, etc.), so I've given this a lot of thought.

I think the best way would be to outright buy one or more used 20' shipping containers - the kind that they ship machinery from China in - they are built like a proverbial tank and should only set you back a grand or so. Fill the thing up, stabilize the load (wood blocking, garbage bags filled with expanding foam, etc.). Before you call the trucking company to come and pick it up - WELD the hinges shut. That will discourage all but the most determined thieves, though if Homeland Security takes an interest ....

To fill my container(s), I will rent or borrow a forklift to save my back. Remember not to put anything flammable inside like finishes, solvents, wood, etc. If you have something like a lifetime supply of expensive or exotic wood that you plan on taking, pack that in a separate container.

On the far end, cut off the hinges, unload, weld on new hinges and resell it/them.

Brian