Thread: Link belt and Steel City drill press

Link belt and Steel City drill press

I picked up a link belt, because of all the great things I've heard about them. I'm considering putting one on my bandsaw and one on my drill press. I just attempted to put one on my Steel City drill press, and it won't stay on - it keeps slipping off the pulley attached to the motor. Anyone have any tips or tricks regarding this?

Blog Entries
    Link belts come in different sizes. For example to replace a 3/8" regular belt there is a 3/8" link belt equivalent. I replaced the two 1/2" belts on my Delta DP with 1/2" link belts and have no problems. It sounds like the link belt size it too large (as a guess).

Wait a minute. The manual for your DP says it uses a poly-v belt. You cannot use link belts on this type of pulley; they only replace v-belts. I have one on almost everything in my shop that will take one though.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Aha, you see I am not wise in the ways of these belts. I've never messed around with a motor before.

So, what's the difference between a poly-v belt and a v-belt?

I will also measure the width to see if I got the right one - I can probably use it on my Grizzly G0513X2 (anyone try this?).

Edit: It's the grooves on the inside of the belt that make the difference, isn't it?
    Last edited by Peter Quadarella; 05-23-2008 at 4:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    Aha, you see I am not wise in the ways of these belts. I've never messed around with a motor before.

So, what's the difference between a poly-v belt and a v-belt?

I will also measure the width to see if I got the right one - I can probably use it on my Grizzly G0513X2 (anyone try this?).

Edit: It's the grooves on the inside of the belt that make the difference, isn't it?
    The poly-v belt (like I have on my tablesaw) is basically flat on the outside and has 3 to 5 little v-grooves running around the inside. These little grooves mesh with the little peaks on the pulleys. A link belt is made to replace a v-belt which is one big wedge-shaped doo-jobber.

Poly Untitled-1.jpg
    V Untitled-2.jpg

I plan to put a link belt on my G0513X. Should be no problem.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hey, comon fellows - check at the photos and clarify the

different belts you are referring to.

Link belts like below can replace V-belts and are adjusted by adding or removing links as the name implies - just like when you used to be in camp crafts - remember?

Lot's of people like link belts - I found they run quietly but lose lots of torque. And, if you are doing this for that reason, the vibration is better fixed than concealed by a link belt effort.

Poly belts as graciously supplied by Glenn need a polly pulley which may or may not be available for your saw - for a drill press? I see no way.

A poly pulley won't fit in most conventional saws due to clearance limitations. That's why hybrids DO, because they allow the extra width among other unique design differences.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My drill press does have pulleys (and belts) with the grooves, as pictured in Glenn's picture. So I guess that's a poly belt.

I'll go put the belt on my bandsaw and check out the difference, thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    My drill press does have pulleys (and belts) with the grooves, as pictured in Glenn's picture. So I guess that's a poly belt.

I'll go put the belt on my bandsaw and check out the difference, thanks .
    I'll bet that you WON'T put it on your bandsaw either... IIRC (I know mine does) Steel City uses the Poly-V belts on their bandsaws as well. At least the 14" ones have the Poly-V belts.

As another poster said, if you're adding the belt to help mask a wobble, you'll do better (IMHO) to find the reason for the wobble and fix it.
    Quote of the day: "If man isn't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?" - Socrates (Fred Socrates, Winder, GA)

Cheers!
    Randy

As I mentioned, I have a 17" Grizzly bandsaw, not a Steel City one, and I'm pretty sure it takes regular v belts. Sometimes the reason (i.e. root cause) for vibration is memory in the belt material, which doesn't occur in a link belt.

Belt tightening beyond my grasp....

I agree with your general comment about belt memory possibly causing vibration. While the vibration tends to go away with a retail consumer link belt, it doesn't seem to solve the problem but rather conceal it.

For example, there are A-Type and B-Type industry standards for pitch of pulleys, about which I want to be the first to acknowledge total ignorance, as well as a multitude of belt materials that affect it.

I relied on a local motor shop, not a retailer, to fix my similar problems. Try Googling belts and pulleys and so forth Good luck.

http://www.gizmology.net/pulleysbelts.htm

My Bad. I either missed the post about the Grizzly or skimmed over it. I just know that Steel City uses the Poly-V belts on their bandsaws as well.
    Quote of the day: "If man isn't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?" - Socrates (Fred Socrates, Winder, GA)

Cheers!
    Randy

If a link belt results in "loss of torque" it means it's slipping. I run a link belt on my contractor saw and it cuts better because the motor isn't bouncing; which would cause slipping.

Many, many people report very good results with link belts. If you don't like them, that's cool. I think they're great where applicable.