Thread: Gravity Feed Sprayer...

Gravity Feed Sprayer...

Rockler has a gravity feed sprayer available. What size compressor is required, is there any other equipment required and can I refinish cabinets with this sprayer? Will it spray poly?

The Rockler gun is a HVLP gun. The gravity feed is becoming

a standard due to air regs. Conventional screw/lock on lower cups atomize paint to degree that maybe 10% or 15% of material gets on the product. Grav feed in comb with HVLP gets maybe 80% on the wood.

Other eqp. - no other, but the diameter of hose is critical - 1/2" and particularly the fittings which while looking the same are 1/64" larger di. allowing 12% or more air throughput. Check the spec for the fitting - I can supply it later when I have time.

As to air delivery/capacity, check the manuf. specs at Rockler web site. It operates around 15lbs definitely under 20. Volume not pressue is issue.

I have one that looks identical but is German and cost much more - I may well have overspent, that's OK I had my reasons; I don't know. I can't speak to the Rklr brand item.

Yes, I use primarily polurethane, slightly thinned.

This gun in the auto industry is referred to as a "touch up" gun, but it works nicely on medium to small projects - like a dining room table and chairs maybe.

Send PM if you wish to discuss in detail Good luck.

I have a HF HVLP that I paid about $29 on sale and it works very well for me...

I think it said it needs a 3HP but you can spray with almost any compressor just not non stop..

If you compressor dips below 45 psi you have to stop and let it build up pressure before you continue spraying..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource