Thread: Do Bessey and Jet clamps mix?

Do Bessey and Jet clamps mix?

With the recent bessey clamp sales and new model coming out, I'm unsure of whether to grab the sales or wait for the new, better model. Can anyone answer these questions:

Will the new bessey's work well with the old ones (same height off table when clamp is on it's back, fit in the same 90 degree block guides, work with the same clamp extenders)?

Do either of the bessey models play well with the JET parallel jaw clamps in any of the above areas?

I've got about 20 of the old bessey clamps, and I'd like to avoid having multiple groups of expensive clamps if they won't work easily together.

Thanks,
    Andy

Rob Will Guest
    I'm a bit in the dark here. Is Bessey changing the K-body clamp?

I just purchased a bunch of Bessey F clamps but my K-bodies are about a year old. The only change I have seen is the optional 2-part composite handle (add to part number: "+2K").

Somebody fill me in (?).

Rob

jet v. bessey

The old Bessey's and the Jet clamps mix well. I use them interchangeably and mix them in glue-ups on doors for instance.

But you should not use them side by side, or you might have some small "clampetts" running around.

Most of my glue ups happen using MDF T's that stand the work off the table so the work is not touching the clamps and the clamp jaws are centered on the work. I have several different sets for different thicknesses of material. I can mix any variety of clamps, and I never have problems getting clamps under the work (I clamp one over, one under for panel glue ups). I don't like finding the serration's from the clamp bars on my finished work either, and I find the best way to avoid these is not to let them touch.

I have a bunch of K-bodies, and while the parallel jaw design is a good one, I find that centering the screw on the work yields more consistent results, and shop made stand offs make this a breeze.

I know this doesn't answer the question directly about compatibility, but it gives you another option. If you are using those little blocks for door frames this still works but you have to get specific with the standoff height and placement to accommodate those things.

No they do not.
    There have been no observable instances when Bessy and Jet clamps left alone for any period that have spawned little mix-breed clamps.

Rob,

Bessey is replacing the K-body clamp with a new design, due out sometime this summer. Similar, but different, with some new features.

http://www.bessey.de/website/en/home...4EA4B1AD796EE7
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 05-25-2008 at 12:11 PM.

thanks

thanks for the feedback guys

john, is it safe to say the distance-to-table difference (or lack of) isn't an issue then? Are they exactly the same here or just close enough to not be an issue?

cliff, were you saying they don't work well together or was your first line tied into the baby clamps thing?

I've been leaving my 6" jointer and 12" planer next to one another hoping that they'll have a nice 12" jointer/planer but apparently the jointer doesn't want kids so it's been a bust.