Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How far do you drive to work?

How far do you drive to work?

As I am getting ready to move into the next chapter of my life and the possible long commutes ahead of me. I was curious, outside of lucky few who host this great forum, how far in time/miles do you commute to and from work on a daily basis? Will the rising gas prices make you move closer or change jobs?

Bryan

Right now it's 63 miles each way for me, anywhere from 50-60 min time wise...5-6 days a week... I carpool so it helps with the rising cost of gas... now at about $200 a month. Should be at this job til November at least, then I hope to get a lil bit closer. Alot depends on the economy.
    I can sure make a mean pile of Saw Dust !!!

hey Bryan,

Well, my commute to my home office is 45 min / 30 miles. (Company car.. )

BUT... that is just to the home office and I work on copiers in Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma and Arkansas. There has been days I have driven 500 miles in one day to work on 5 different copiers in 5 different cities. Good thing the company provides me a company car and THEY pay the gas bill... LOL

Oh.. and I also take it home every night and on weekends so in reality, my commute to work is company paid and I'm paid from 8 to 5 no matter how many copiers I work on or miles I drive! Plus I get weekends off..

can ya tell I like my job? ....

Now the wife on the other hand... she drives about 10 miles to and from work daily... she drives our 99 Durango V8 @ 14 miles to the gallon!! Good thing we live close to her work!

Dave
    Last edited by David Sallee; 05-26-2008 at 12:35 AM.
    Ahhhhh..... the smell of fresh cut wood!

Blog Entries
    I drive 26 miles to work each day and LOML drives about the same but in the opposite direction. However, I had been driving a 2002 V8 Tundra to and from work which gets 17mpg. Along with the other running around we do our gas bill is between $600 to $800 a month. This is crazy and I cannot keep it up much longer. I have started doing a few things to help with this expense. I bought a used Kia Rio that gets around 35mpg if I drive carefully. My wife now drives a RAV4, but I am not going to convince her to change vehicles, she get around 22mpg or so. Also, I have finally convinced my employer to allow me to telecommute one day a week. At this point it is experimental but I am hoping it will work out and I can increase that to 2 or 3 days. Moving back to town is not yet an option I am considering, nor is changing jobs. I am too close to retirement for either of those to be practical for me. (8 years)
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 05-26-2008 at 12:32 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    About ten years ago, circumstances had me living a few blocks from my employer at that time. Having been adjusted to driving for an hour or more to get to work and the same to get home, it was quite a shock. I've been in the same filed for 26 years and early on it was normal to change employers every 3 to 5 years even though the job remains the same. Ever since that first 'living close to work' experience, I continued to live close to work. I currently drive 4 miles one way and hope to do so until I retire (I don't want to change employers any more).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My commute is about 3 miles one way. It just so happens I live across town from my work. But not a big town. A girl who worked down the hall from me said we don't have a rush hour - it's a rush minute.

The thing that I see that has changed so drastically is where people live now. It used to be if you became affluent you moved into town, so you could have amenities like electricity and close shopping. Now everybody seems to have a craze for living in the country. And I see this (around here, anyway) as having taken place only within the past ten years. Over ten years ago when I went to work I would wait for a vehicle or two to pass before I made the left hand turn into the parking lot. Now it's not unusual to count 15 or 20 vehicles passing before I can make my turn. And the commutes get longer and longer.....fifty and sixty miles are fairly common. No thanks, not me. Who wants to spend that much of your life looking at pavement? And not to mention the cost nowadays of looking at that pavement.
    And now for something completely different....

What is this "work" that of you speak?

I have a 12 mile/15-20 minute commute one way to the office. I do a lot of driving for work but I get paid mileage for that.

My commute is 41 miles each way 5-6 days a week.

I commuted 50 miles one way in San Francisco Bay Area rush hour traffic for 26 years with an average of 1-1/2 hours sitting in slow traffic every day. I am retired now and am thankful that the commute is over. Moving closer to work was not a good financial option. The closer to San Francisco the higher the real estate cost.
    David B

A little over a year ago I took a job where I telecommute which is saving us a TON of money these days. I used to drive about 35 miles each way.

How about 34'- 6 1/2", if I slide out the other side of the bed instead of walking around its only 16'- 4 3/4". Yep I work from home, when I have to travel the company picks up the tab. I even get to keep the air miles, so they pay the flights for vacations. I love my job, it's some of the people I have to deal with that makes it work. Just got the wife an Yaris, she travels 12 miles each way, got to send her off to work, so she doesn’t drive me crazy all day. I’ll drive the Highlander for running around, and park the Tundra except when I need to haul or tow something that can’t be put in the Highlander.
    The speed of light is much faster than the speed of sound; is that why some people look so bright until they say something?

My last job was 5.5 miles each way, and I went home for lunch. Now its about 12 miles each way and I bring my lunch. I get to drive away from the sun both morning and evening and on the light side of traffic both ways, so it's only about 15 minutes driving at 62 mph. I get about 16.5 mpg in my '02 Ford E250 extended van. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

It's 8-9 miles for me. That's 15-25 minutes to drive depending on traffic. I ride it on a bicycle in 35-45 minutes (different routes riding in vs. home).

8 miles one way to work and then 9 miles on the way home as I take a longer way home so I can drop off the stress of the day before I get home. Travel time is honestly about 13 minutes.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.