Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How far do you drive to work?

11 miles each way. About a 20 minute drive as much of it is dirt roads and the rest are secondary roads.

Bryan

Unless I'm headed to the airport, my commute is "front stairs or back"... I've been in a virtual office situation for over 11 years now.

Professor Dr. SWMBO only drives about 6 miles now; down from 25 each way prior to her moving jobs to her present employer. She was also able to negotiate a local office instead of having to go into the City every day and takes the train in on those days she does need to be there for teaching or advising or meetings. Train station is also about 6 miles.

We both drive hybrid vehicles, BTW.

Oh, Ed, I guess I have about a 50-60' walk to this particular office, but sometime in the next week I'm moving into my new one, which is about, oh, 20' from my side of the bed.... Of course, the latté machine is still down in the kitchen, so my "actual" commute isn't really changing that much and I can still vary the route.... LOL
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-26-2008 at 9:58 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Interesting range of comments, I am looking at a 50 mile commute which will take me around 45 mins since it is all at @ 65 mph. My concern with moving closer is buying a house that isn't getting me anything more except less time behind the wheel. Some of the areas I have been looking at are very restrictive when it comes to 2nd garages/shops, some to the point where the shed and the detached garage can not exceed 480 sq feet but the drive would still be 20-25 mins. With my skill set it would be very very difficult to work on turbine engines or the like over the phone.......

My commute is about 75 feet. My cabinetshop is close to the house. Most of the time I don't drive unless i'm installing.

Blog Entries
    Being in the construction trade, I have driven as little as a mile or two and up to 100 miles. I am in New Jersey and my Insulators union hall serves pretty much the entire lower 60 percent of Jersey. With gas prices the way they are, retirement in five years will be best relished by the definite decrease in gas useage!
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

I commute about 16 miles each way. I normally drive alone, but also belong to a vanpool. I don't take the vanpool very often as it is on a nine hour day and I prefer to work ten hours. Gas prices don't affect me since I just work an extra hour of OT to pay for most of a month's worth of gas.

I am trying to sell my house to move to an area where the predominant traffic is in the opposite direction to cut the commute time and other reasons. The housing in that area can still be had for less than $500,000 especially since the market is softening a little.

5.5 miles from driveway to parking lot. A full tank in my Ram PU lasts just shy of 3 weeks. I don't know how people can drive 50/60 miles to work - that would kill me!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

My daily round trip is under 13 miles. LOML's is roughly 1.5 (yes one & one half miles) total.
    To say we don't buy alot of gas is probably an understatement. Up until my BIL moved to town I used to fill up @ once a month. Now that I run to his place a couple times during the week, I seem to be up to @ 2 full-ups a month.

Greg

When I was working full-time, my commute was about 13 miles one way, but with all the traffic and traffic lights and back-ups and traffic jams, it usually took me 35-40 minutes to get there. Now, it's about 30 feet out the back door to the laser shop or the wood shop. I drive a Ford Windstar, and would get two weeks off a tank of gas, unless I did a lot of weekend driving. Now, a tank of gas lasts me at least a month.

On the other hand, LOML's commute is about 12 miles, again in traffic with lights and jams, and it takes him half an hour on a good day. He drives a Ford F-150 V-8, and gets 15 mpg or better, but we also use his vehicle for most of our joint errands and trips to friends, etc., so he fills up about once a week. Right now he's on a road trip to Minnesota, and gas prices are driving him nutz---up to about 3.85/gal in Mpls.

I filled up last week at Sam's for $3.50/gal, and never thought I'd think that price was a bargain!!!
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Depends on where work is. As a general contractor I have to go where I can get the jobs. Last Fall I built 2 pole barns 75 miles 1 way.

The way I see it - I can't change the price of gas but I can work harder, do the best job I can and try to make more money.

P.S. $96.97 to fill my Ford last Friday.

Jim my man you just haven't trained your wife properly. I get coffee in bed, seeing my wife needs to get up earlier to get ready (makeup, hair, and God knows what else) plus the travel time to work. Retraining may still be possible, let me know if you need any pointers. hehe
    The speed of light is much faster than the speed of sound; is that why some people look so bright until they say something?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kilburn View Post
    Jim my man you just haven't trained your wife properly. I get coffee in bed, seeing my wife needs to get up earlier to get ready (makeup, hair, and God knows what else) plus the travel time to work. Retraining may still be possible, let me know if you need any pointers. hehe
    Professor Dr. SWMBO's not familiar with the espresso machine...and she pulls her weight in complimentary ways around there. I cook during the week, for example. (and really enjoy it) She picks up the girls from after-care most days. etc. There is no re-training necessary.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Koch View Post
    My commute is about 75 feet. My cabinetshop is close to the house. Most of the time I don't drive unless i'm installing.

Same here, but about 50 feet.

68 miles each way through Boston traffic. Thankfully I leave the house by 5:30 and miss most of the heavy traffic. Trip still takes me almost an hour and a half. Of course my trip home is usually about two hours as I hit the rush hour at 5:00. Longest commute was last winter during a storm - took me 4 hours to get home

I own a Ram 3500 Dually Diesel, gets about 15 mpg. When I moved here I bought a Kia Spectra that gets 32-35 mpg as my daily commuter car (I also use it for all the quick trips around town). Bought it three years ago - it'll hit 100,000 miles here in the next month or so On the other hand, I've put less than 3,000 miles on the truck in 3 years. Nice when I'm only changing the oil once a year (and that's just as a precaution).

Be well,

Doc

I used to drive 11 miles, which could take over an hour stuck in nasty traffic.

Now I walk up the stairs to the shop over the garage.

My wife works at a school 1 block away.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green