Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How far do you drive to work?

Quote Originally Posted by julie Graf View Post
    i walk downstairs.

i used to walk 3 blocks.

before that it was 11 miles (but 30-45 minutes) each way.

i like being closer - not only does it save on gas, but you can make lunch at home (and save $), and saves time, which means more time for coffee in the morning.
    I like the way you think Julie.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I have a 115 mile round-trip commute every day, from Fredericksburg to McLean, VA. I am trying desparetly to get moved to a project on Quantico. It would sorta improve things a bit......

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Makes me long for the old days of that scenic trip to Crystal City Keith...NOT!
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

14 miles each way...on two wheels, calf/thigh powered!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post
    Makes me long for the old days of that scenic trip to Crystal City Keith...NOT!
    Yeah, lots of lovely scenery up there....if you like concrete, glass, and crowds.

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Keith
    I understand your pain
    Maybe you'll get your wish and get that closer job, and all the other commuters will find some kind of relief from that 4 lane parking lot.

I have a 40 minute commute along the Prince William Parkway to northern Hoodbridge, i mean Woodbridge VA. I just hate the silly mis-timed traffic lights. I could save 10-15 minutes if they were better timed.
    The wisest thing in the world is to cry out before you are hurt.

Board-Stretcher 101 : I cut it twice and it's still too short. I don't understand?

Wow, just checked the Yaris mileage, 41.989 miles/gal. First 1/2 tank, this was 222 miles, 5.287 gal. 60 highway bringing it home, and the rest around town, and the 12 mile trip my wife makes to work and home. I'm taking it this weekend, back to my folk's home round trip on the highway about 250 miles; I can't wait to see how it does then.
    The speed of light is much faster than the speed of sound; is that why some people look so bright until they say something?

Hubby drives 48 miles one way, I either walk downstairs or, if they need help, to the local feed store 14 miles away. Mostly, I like the downstairs route, right past the coffee pot and thermal carafe that travels with me. The basement shop is off the finished basement portion that houses our rec room. Be great if I would stop piling stuff on our pool table.
    Leigh Costello
    Epilog Mini 24, 45W, Corel X4
    Smile, make them wonder what ya did.

In my previous job, I travelled ~40 miles each way from Virginia Beach to Newport News, VA. Almost all highway miles, so it wasn't so bad. Now that I work inside the DC beltway, I travel ~30 miles each way. However, it's about 4 miles to the commuter lot where I either catch my carpool to ride in the HOV-3 lanes or slug in (for those unfamiliar, "slugging", in my opinion, is a form of civilized hitchhiking, done to have enough people in a car to drive the HOV-3 lanes). I very rarely drive myself in these days - costs too much money and can take hours each way.

Cheers,
    Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
    It's 8-9 miles for me. That's 15-25 minutes to drive depending on traffic. I ride it on a bicycle in 35-45 minutes (different routes riding in vs. home).
    That's the way to do it, Rob. Every time I pass a gas station and see the prices, I'm glad to be on a bike!

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I currently drive 4 miles one way and hope to do so until I retire (I don't want to change employers any more).
    Glenn, sounds to me like you would be a prime candidate for cycling. Being SoCal, you can easily do it all year, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Rocker View Post
    Interesting range of comments, I am looking at a 50 mile commute which will take me around 45 mins since it is all at @ 65 mph. My concern with moving closer is buying a house that isn't getting me anything more except less time behind the wheel.
    Bryan,
    We moved to this city for a job. At that time, we intentionally limited our house hunting to a few specific neighbourhoods, close enough that I would be able to bike to work (or bus in winter). We ended up just under 4km away in quite a decent home. Now, we didn't actually get on a good bus route, but it turned out that I could cycle all year, thanks to the milder winters around here (and good plowing/salting by the city). So we've saved a ton of money by being able to live with just one car in the family.

Moving for the job "just" to save gas/time is not an easy decision, as you've already mentioned. Friend of mine moved within the city and between realtor fees (), survey, land transfer taxes, moving costs, and all the other headaches/expenses, he figured it was about $20,000 to move. It definitely takes a while to pay for that just in gas saved. Really, it's probably more about lifestyle choices... do you want to spend 90 minutes (or whatever) a day stressing through traffic or not?

best,
    ...art
    "It's Not About You."

Just moved and cut it from 1 hr./60 miles to 7-10 mins./4.5 miles
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Glenn, sounds to me like you would be a prime candidate for cycling. Being SoCal, you can easily do it all year, no?
    Art...
    I'm in Rhode Island.
    ...and yes I do bike (Yes Chris...it's a Trek) but it's a convience thing that keeps me from doing it often.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post
    Art...
    I'm in Rhode Island.
    ...and yes I do bike (Yes Chris...it's a Trek) but it's a convience thing that keeps me from doing it often.
    Glenn,
    Did you misread my post? I was replying to Glenn Bradley.

I know not everyone can bike, even if they do live close enough - some people need to haul a lot of stuff, or they need to be ready to go to other locations, or dressed for sales calls, etc.
    "It's Not About You."

2.2 miles door to door. I love it.
    Grant
    GO Buckeyes!

Yup...DUH!
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan