Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why buy a bandsaw when you can build one? Pre-Gloat

Why buy a bandsaw when you can build one? Pre-Gloat

Not sure why i can't just do as normal people do and buy a new crated tool..plug it in and enjoy it. I refurbed a 16 year old jointer, built a router table, bought a contractor saw and upgraded it to a "nicer" saw. Now i am buying the 14" Delta bandsaw top from Redmond and am going to build my own stand and search out a motor, which is the main reason i am posting this now instead of next week when the bandsaw arrives. If anyone has a 1.5HP motor that they want to sell let me know, or otherwise confirm that I want to put a leeson 1.5HP 1725rpm motor running off 110v.I am going to put the riser block on right from the get go, so i also need blade recommendations as well. Here is a link and picture of the soon to be new bandsaw...thanks to Jim and all the others who thought this might be a worthwhile project.
    http://www.redmond-machinery.com/delta_28-212R.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tim Morton; 04-22-2005 at 7:23 AM.

Tim,
    I want to do this...Please keep posting as you go...I'm dying to build my own!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Congratulations on your order...and remember, someone "out there" once asked, "Why be normal?" And just what IS normal, anyway...

Northern Tool carries Leeson...one example is a 2hp 1725 RPM unit for $197.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tim,
    Congrats! You know I like doing business with Redmond . They didn't have those available when I pulled the trigger on mine. You ARE getting the riser block for that puppy, right?
    Maurice

Great project, I am going to pull the trigger on one this morning. I've been sorta holding out to buy a Rikon 18" but money isn't there in the near future... I have 2hp 3450rpm Delta replacement motor I bought off Ebay(65$ +ship) for a DC unit I've never built, just sitting my garage. Figure I could use that to build this up and just setup pulleys to get the correct RPM to the saw. Keep us up-to-date on the build. My cost to ship here to MI was only 98$ if I pick it up at the freight terminal which I always do if I can .. not bad at all.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

There's a couple bandsaw bases for sale over on tha classified section

Tim,
    Congrats! You know I like doing business with Redmond . They didn't have those available when I pulled the trigger on mine. You ARE getting the riser block for that puppy, right?
    I ordered the riser block from amazon this morning and even saved $10 bucks with a coupon I had

Tim,
    With that link Jim B. gave you, you should be able to find a suh-weet motor for that thing. Thinkin' about a 2 hp?
    Maurice

Tim---Be sure to check out the Iturra Designs catalog, he specializes in souping up Delta 14 inchers. No website, but here is a number to call.

1-888-722-7078

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Tim,
    You are correct that a 1725 motor is what you want. Ebay might be a source. I seem to recall someone on there sells motors, NIB, pretty cheaply.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

I've Baldor motors on ebay pretty cheap as well. Some even say that they are NEW IN BOX. Good luck.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Thinkin' about a 2 hp?
    I'm thinking 1.5HP in order to run it on 110...unless that gets rejected here

Tim,

Here's an Ebay link for a Leeson 1.5 @1750
    The buy it now price is $15

Here's their description:

Model- C6K17FB9F RPM- 1725

HP-1.5 Hz- 60

V-115 F.L.A.- 8.8/8.6

Frame- G56H Phase- 1

This motor is in good condition.

<!-- End Description
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 04-23-2005 at 9:05 AM. Reason: removed direct link to e-bay - violation of terms
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Hi Tim...
    Cudos off to you for doing this. I do this stuff all the time so please take what I am about to say with a grain of salt as I do not often take my own advice. But I also have an extensive machine shop includings metal lathes and milling machines and precision grinders and metal planers. In fact, I can almost repoduce an entire oliver in my garage from scratch! I still need to oursource foundary operations but I do my own patternmaking. I find that fun.

In going through the HAER photo records using wood shop and pattern shop as a search criteria, I did find a very strange home made bandsaw. I can reproduce the URL if there is a call for it. The base was a wooden box and the frame of the saw was made from heavy duty steel pipe parts. I would figure about a 2 to 3 inch steel pipe. Most likely 2 or 2.5 inch pipe. The fittings were standard T parts, end caps, and what not. On the bottom of the frame, there was a steel plate bolted onto the pipes with holes drilled through the plate and pipe. This gave support to the stucture and also provided a place to bolt on the lower pillow block bearing assembly. The upper pillow block bearing assembly was "clamped" onto the horizontal run of pipe that made up the classic C shape of a bandsaw frame. By undoing the clamp bolts, you could rotate or change the angle of the upper axle affecting the blade tracking. Inside the box was a motor and the standard two pulley sheave arrangement which powered this thing. Clearly it was made by an imaginative person on a serious budget out in the middle of nowhere. As a restrictive design exercise, it is a great project, esp. as a lab project to try to teach our new crop of engineers to think and function without multi million dollar budgets and computer designed cookie cutter solutions.

Now you mentioned in your plan that you wish to build your own saw and that you wish to incorporate a riser block with a sub 2 HP motor. Well, whenever I hear the term "riser block", it gets a rise out of me. The standard 14 inch bandsaw which is powered by a 3/4 to 1.5 HP single phase motor is *NOT* a resawing bandsaw. I currently own a few bandsaws as "olde arn" seems to follow me home like desperate puppies. I do own a mint condition general bandsaw which I will be selling on ebay as soon as I get it moved to another location. I resaw a lot! My main resaw machine these days is a 36 inch oliver 416 from the 1960s. I dont need this size but when it comes to good deals on used machines, you sometimes have to make compromises and a few roof rafters were this compromise. Oh well, didn't need them anyway. At any rate, your going to a hell of an effort to create a bandsaw of which there are quite a few on the market. If you can live with a 14 incher with low power, that this will work. But I know guys like you! As soon as you get it working, you will be starting the next improvment. What was Tim Allen's favorate phase.. "Ohhhh Ohhhh More Power!"

So I would look into two things. First, try to get some more power on the motor. It is not uncommon for 18 and 20 inch saws to have 2 to 3 HP motors on them. You can get these in single phase or three phase. Resaw needs power! Second, you may also wish to go out and find a used 18 or 20 or 30 inch "vintage bandsaw". Join the forum on yahoo for old wood working machines and check out the website www.owwm.com and have a look at various vintage saws that have been rehabilitated from corporate life and are now used to fullfill a newer and more noble calling.... the home wood shop. As I mentioned, if you resaw, you need to go larger. If you just use the saw as a light duty bandsaw for cutting curves in thinner stock, then the 14-teener will surfice.

Good Luck...

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Tim,

Here's an Ebay link for a Leeson 1.5 @1750
    The buy it now price is $15

Here's their description:

Model- C6K17FB9F RPM- 1725

HP-1.5 Hz- 60

V-115 F.L.A.- 8.8/8.6

Frame- G56H Phase- 1

This motor is in good condition.

<!-- End Description -->http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...510466716&rd=1
    That motor is right down the road from me....looks kind of old and beat up...but it might not be a bad eay to start. Although I think from what I'm reading here 2HP might be the better choice for resawing.