Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do I Adjust My Miter Saw Fence?

How Do I Adjust My Miter Saw Fence?

I have a new Hitachi C10FSH Sliding Compound Miter Saw that needs its fence aligned properly to give me a square cut. The owners manual does not address fence alignment at all (something I find strange). The left and right fences appear to be mounted with two bolts each that offer no adjustment. The fence mounting bolts look like they screw into a hole rather than a slot to allow for some adjustment. I could be wrong on that, but until I get some feedback from the forum here, I don't want to mess around with the bolts. Do have some suggestions for making the necessary adjustments?

I have an older Delta 12" miter saw that had this condition. The fence was veed in towards the back of the blade. Cuts were never square and often the workpiece would pinch the blade and jerk.The fence on my saw is a one piece casting held in place by two bolts on each side. I removed the fence casting from the saw placed it face down on the bench with a block of wood under each end and very, very gently tapped the backside with a rubber mallet. I was able to get it straight with just a few taps. After reinstalling and squaring everything up the saw cut much better then before.

First is the fence bolted to table( table is threaded) or do bolts go through table (fence is threaded). You will have to remove fence from saw and drill out the appropriate holes either it be the fence or the table. They try to get it perfect at the factory but it seldome happens, that's why you have to SET up your brand new out of the box saws. DON"T drill to big maybe 1/16" larger than existing holes or you could use a dremmel to hog out the appropriate side of the hole to get it to line up perfect. Dont expect it to be perfect the first time, alittle trial and error is expected.
    Good luck!!

Are the 2 fences co-planer? If so, there may be an adjustment of the miter table/arm to get it to 90 degrees. I have that saw, but mine seems to be good out of the box. I'll try to remember to double check it tomorrow night after work. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I have that saw too. Here's what I did. I got one fence exactly 90 degrees to the blade. I used a plastic triangle for this. Then I made the second fence coplanar with the first fence. I made test cuts on as wide a board I could find since this saw can cut about 12". Let us know how it goes. Alan
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Same saw, Hitachi C10FSH, and when I loosen the bolts holding the fence to the table, there seems to be considerable slop in the holes through the fence. At least there's enough on my saw to allow me to align the fence normal to the blade.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

The Answers To The Alignment And Ongoing

VERIFICATION & fine tuning apparently are in the user's manual in the vicinity of pp. 15 - 17. Due to the laser setup on this model they are fairly precise and would warrant a little trained direction before proceeding.

If you still have questions after reading these, it would be more beneficial to contact Hitachi Customer Service at:

ttp://www.hitachipowertools.com/cust_service.php

The user manual, C10FSH_OM.pdf: can be found there also. I tried to upload it here but it is too large a file. You can view it on line or download it yourself.

Hours of Operation

Eastern Region - 8:00 - 5:00 EST
    Central Region - 8:30 - 5:30 EST
    Western Region - 10:00 - 8:00 EST

Ph: 800-706-7337 or 770-925-1774
    Fax: 800-830-7593 or 770-923-2117

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Slavin View Post
    VERIFICATION & fine tuning apparently are in the user's manual in the vicinity of pp. 15 - 17. Due to the laser setup on this model they are fairly precise and would warrant a little trained direction before proceeding.
    Steve. I disagree. There is nothing in the manual, on those pages or otherwise that address adjusting the FENCE. Yes, there are instructions for adjusting the laser light, but that is not my issue here. It's fence alignment that I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veatch View Post
    Same saw, Hitachi C10FSH, and when I loosen the bolts holding the fence to the table, there seems to be considerable slop in the holes through the fence. At least there's enough on my saw to allow me to align the fence normal to the blade.
    Tom, I will loosen those bolts tomorrow and see if I have the same movement available that you had. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky View Post
    I have that saw too. Here's what I did. I got one fence exactly 90 degrees to the blade. I used a plastic triangle for this. Then I made the second fence coplanar with the first fence. I made test cuts on as wide a board I could find since this saw can cut about 12". Let us know how it goes. Alan
    Alan, my question is how do I GET THE FENCE EXACTLY 90 DEGREES TO THE BLADE!! What did you do . . . loosen those two bolts on each fence? And if so, did you find there was enough slop in the bolt holes to move the fences around so they were square?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Are the 2 fences co-planer? If so, there may be an adjustment of the miter table/arm to get it to 90 degrees. I have that saw, but mine seems to be good out of the box. I'll try to remember to double check it tomorrow night after work. Jim.
    THat's a good point jim. I don't see any adjustment on the arm that allows me to reposition it. I could be missing something, and there is nothing in the manual that suggests it can be moved.
    Last edited by Jeff Wright; 05-27-2008 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Lesak View Post
    First is the fence bolted to table( table is threaded) or do bolts go through table (fence is threaded). You will have to remove fence from saw and drill out the appropriate holes either it be the fence or the table. They try to get it perfect at the factory but it seldome happens, that's why you have to SET up your brand new out of the box saws. DON"T drill to big maybe 1/16" larger than existing holes or you could use a dremmel to hog out the appropriate side of the hole to get it to line up perfect. Dont expect it to be perfect the first time, alittle trial and error is expected.
    Good luck!!
    Tim, looks like the fence is bolted to the table. I disagree that one must drill out the holes to make the adjustment. A decent manufacturer wouldn't subject the user to such nonsense . . . or would they??

It is my understanding/observation that miter saw fences are

not intended to be adjusted - the fence that is - but rather, look to the stop that halts the vertical tilt to/from 90 degrees and the stop or detent that halts it at 90 degrees on rotating. See possibly #8, page 22 that speaks to accuracy of angle.

The stop is adjusted if either is off 90 degrees. Typically it is a lock nut on a threaded vernier scale (a bolt), by adjusting the bolt the stop is aligned and then locked in place.

As you pointed out in one of your own replies, drilling etc. is not appropriate, and would void a warranty.

If the adjustments described here are not found (I'm looking at them on my saw, even though not an Hitachi) Hit. technical support would be able to point them out to you in a flash.

Jeff- You could also install a wood accessory fence and shim that fence. I do this on all of my miter saws.
    Last edited by Matthew Voss; 05-28-2008 at 9:05 AM.
    Matt

The Correct Way To Adjust The Fence Is

First, I need to correct my own answer below saying to adjust the limits of travel on the arm instead of the fence. (Some other saws - Bosch/Skil for example, adjust the travel, not the fence).

The correct way to adjust this, per Hitachi Tech Support, 1-800-706-7337 (see posting of full access info in this thread) is to adjust the left side first, 90 deg to blade using a machinist's square or similar, loosening the fence bolts to move it - there is built-in leeway to allow movement.

Then adjust the right fence in parallel with the left using an accurate long straight edge.

From time to time with rough treatment etc., the fence might need re adjustment and this is the way to do it.

I have also reviewed this with Jeff via PM.