Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Startup Issues

Like many of you all, I keep reading over this thread. I just don't see how a blower capable of sucking all the cool or hot air out of a room can't pull the smoke out of a laser cabinet unless there is a HUGE restriction someplace.

I'm disappointed in your Epilog rep. I know if I were the rep. I'd be camping out in your front yard until the problem was resolved!
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Quote Originally Posted by Barb Macdonald View Post
    I do find Mark's take on this subject disappointing
    barb
    My point is, welcome to the club. It happens to all of us sooner or later. Perhaps Epilog will help, perhaps not. If not, you have to move on and fix it yourself if you want to be in the business. I really do sympathise with you... believe me, I have been down the same road.

Good luck, Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

Barb, I don't think Mark is suggesting Epilog has no responsibility in this issue. He said:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Winlund View Post
    I'm not sure that I agree that Epilog should pay for another blower. Perhaps an exchange machine.
    Now maybe you feel that a different blower is the answer. But I tend to agree with Mark that Epilog should consider replacing the laser itself (especially if it can't be retrofitted with the new 6" air system.) I agree they did mislead you as to what type of blower was initially needed and perhaps they should take some responsibility for some of the costs.

What is different between your system and David's?

1. different exhaust duct system (4" vs 6")
    2. different blower
    3. different location of blower
    4. different system impedence (ducting)

Anything else you can think of?

Although David may disagree, I really think your blower is not all that much different from David's in terms of performance. (I have plotted the two curves on one chart.) Therefore I have not been enthusiastic about changing blowers. And yes, if you change to a 5 hp blower it will probably work, but there ought to be a better way.

I can't remember if you have 6" ducting beyong the laser itself - can you clarify? (You should use 6" min if you don't already. No sharp elbows etc.)

I don't think the location of the blower has that much effect on the performance of the system.

So that leaves the laser enclosure impedence. (Unless I have forgotten something else that is different.) That is why I suggested trying to retrofit to 6" exhaust ducts but we don't know if this is possible or not. But if not, I would see if Epilog would exchange the machine for the 6" version and (give you a reasonable warranty).

Blog Entries
    Plug the blower directly into the back of the machine with as little ductwork as possible. If it STILL can't evacuate the machine properly, well, you know where the problem lies...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Another week has passed. Any update on resolving Barb's issues?

Didn't seem to take 12 weeks to cash the check, I'm guessing.....
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.