Thread: What's your best selling work?

What's your best selling work?

With the price of tools and materials being what they are, and only going up, and our discretionary funds increasingly going out the tail pipe, I've come to the conclusion that making my woodworking a self-funding effort is the only way I'm going to be able to enjoy regular shop time and upgrade my tooling.

Going into business as a professional woodworker isn't really for me, but as a part time hobby I'm trying to come up with a few relatively simple projects that sell well (like at craft fairs, open air booths, word of mouth, etc.), are relatively cheap to make, and probably have a functional purpose (since any potential buyers are also getting low on discretionary cash for 'decorative' items).

So I'll be upfront and admit that I'm fishing around a bit here, looking for some ideas. If you're from southern Ohio and don't want any competition, I understand completely. But otherwise, if you could share which, if any, items you've sold well with, it would be a great idea starter for someone who's already pushed his wife's budgetary patience about as far as it'll go already...

I'd say decide on your target customer before you decide on the items to make & sell. I sell to medieval re-enactors. That's a very small niche. I've chosen my products for what they need and can afford. Few of the items would be of interest to the general market.

Kirk

Hi, Jim. I sold at a craft mall for over ten years, but will have to admit that I've been "out of the loop" for some time, so I hope what I give you is'nt too dated.

I found what does well is midrange items. Don't do a lot of things like little trinket boxes, key racks, etc, as they can be picked up anywhere, online and otherwise. Try to find out what the main wooden catalog items are and stay away from them, unless you llike the thought of competing with Asian made stuff that sells for about what it costs you in material.

I sold a great number of quilt racks, both a quilt stand (the kind that stands on the floor) and a quilt shelf (hangs on the wall). What I was told by several people is that small cabinetry is good....to large to be imported well and too small to have a large enough profit margin to be made by large companies. That is, things like small pie safes, jelly cupboards, etc. Put into the same category things like hall tables, sofa tables, etc. When I got into larger items I made a number of cedar chests and bookcases. In the 1990's I was selling $500-$600 a month. You won't get rich but as long as you like doing it and it doesn't become a chore you can make enough to cover tools, etc with some money for "etc".

It will help if you are willing to take custom orders. Not half, but a sizeable percentage of my business was in taking orders for items I felt I could turn in a reasonable time.

Go to some craft malls and take in a few craft fairs and pay attention and see what moves. Also talk to people there and find out where the market is and for what. If you consider a craft mall be aware that some, in addition to a booth charge also expect a certain number of hours permonth work done at the mall. In other words, read the fine print. Good luck.
    And now for something completely different....

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Poore View Post
    I'd say decide on your target customer before you decide on the items to make & sell. I sell to medieval re-enactors. That's a very small niche. I've chosen my products for what they need and can afford. Few of the items would be of interest to the general market.

Kirk
    Kirk, I gotta ask, just what exactly are some items you make for these folks? It may be niche, but from the little I know that crowd has a very tight network and loyal followings.

Misery. I deal in misery.
    People make themselves miserable and I make 'em more so. The $$ is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Helmboldt View Post
    Kirk, I gotta ask, just what exactly are some items you make for these folks? It may be niche, but from the little I know that crowd has a very tight network and loyal followings.
    Primarily dantesca chairs, oak benches, and six-board chests:

I sell other stuff too, but these are probably 90%. Other than some of the carving, most medieval furniture is fairly simple and not too hard to reproduce with power tools. Of course, it really helps to have access to sawmills for big boards and to own some big old industrial equipment (30" bandsaw, 18" planer, autofeed mortiser). For example, I cut the legs on the dantesca chairs out of sycamore 2x16's.

Kirk