Thread: HVLP Setting Help Please!!!!!

HVLP Setting Help Please!!!!!

I have the Wagner HVLP Conv. gun and the two quart pressure pot. My question is what should the pressure settings should be at the pot regulator. I know they say that #40 at the compressor and around #15 at the gun but what should I set the regulator on the pot at. I'm new to spraying and I am trying to get my settings straight. Also what do you do with the check valve that usually goes to the gun mount pot from the gun.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-30-2008 at 8:16 AM. Reason: Threads merged by Moderator

Pot pressure is usually bet. 8 -15 psi. The specs should be provided for your particular pot. But if you don't have them, err on the low side and increase pressure as needed to get good material flow.
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 05-29-2008 at 10:53 PM.
    David DeCristoforo

So what should I set the regulator on the gun at or do I even need it with the pot regulator.

I don't have the Wagner gun, but I've used a pressure pot for years with a conventional gun, and the pot was always around 1-2psi. Thicker material would be 2-3psi. I now have an HVLP conversion gun, and I sprayed automotive enamel at 2 psi. Any higher, and the paint squirted out the fluid nozzle whenever I pulled the trigger.

My advice, start at 1psi and work your way up until you have the right rate of fluid flow when spraying

Don't know about your particular setup but for my pp-setup I have the pressure at the compressor is at full 135, pressure at the far end of the run feeding the system stepped down to about 60, pressure at the pot set to about 6 and the pressure at the gun set to the lowest setting that atomizes and lays out to my liking (this one takes a bit of fiddling). Hope this helps. For reference in the event it helps at all, my setup is a Walcom gun and Qualspray 1-gallon pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tullie Templet View Post
    So what should I set the regulator on the gun at or do I even need it with the pot regulator.
    You need the gun regulator as it allows you to control the atomization.

Thanks guys. I'm getting it. Gleem paint sent me a setup thing via e-mail when I called.