Thread: Best adhesive to reattach rear view mirror??

Question Best adhesive to reattach rear view mirror??

I've reattached the rear view mirror twice already with the stuff you get at the auto parts stores but it keeps falling off again. Is there a better adhesive I could use out there or do I have to keep using this stuff?

Joe
    Joe
    ------------------------------------------------

Experience...is simply the name we give our mistakes.

Oscar Wilde
    .................................................. ..................

Go to the dealer, or to an auto body shop supplier (or the body shop itself). They'll have the right stuff. Probably won't cost any more than the parts store stuff, either...

Joe

I had the same problem using the auto supply kits which advise "a small amout" of cement.

Finally I applied a lot and have had no more failures.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tonich
    I've reattached the rear view mirror twice already with the stuff you get at the auto parts stores but it keeps falling off again. Is there a better adhesive I could use out there or do I have to keep using this stuff?

Joe
    Do not, I repeat do not attach the rear view mirror with CA unless there is an intervening expandable material.

I guarantee your windshield will crack because of the differential expansion of the metal of the rear view mirror attaching point and the glass. DAMHIKT.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Man, Joe, be gentle when you adjust that mirror!! I've actually had real good success with the stuff from the auto parts store. I've reattached mirrors in 3 different vehicles with the stuff, and I know the mirrors are still on in 2 of the vehicles (because I still own them), the third car was an acquaintance's, and he doesn't have it anymore. IIRC, I cleaned the glass well with alcohol or lacquer thinner, along with the metal tab, then followed the directions on back. Holding it in place for a minute while the glue sets up is the tricky part, but I think a little wiggle when you first put it on may help it set. Then don't attach the mirror to the metal tab too soon--waiting longer is better.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Hey Joe, go to your favorite auto glass installer, they will put up your mirror for next to nothing, and most of them guarantee it! I had a problem with the wife's car like you describe, kept falling off. Finally got p'd off and went to a windshield installer and he charged me $5 to glue it up with his glue. Hasn't fell off yet and that was 3 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl
    Man, Joe, be gentle when you adjust that mirror!!
    The stupid thing just fell off! Didn't touch it or nuthin. I know I'm not the best lookin fella around, but that just ain't right! I guess I aughta be greatful it just fell off and not BROKE when I looked in it. Was going to go to a dealer and get their stuff but had a realty lady come give me a ballpark figure on a selling price on my house & she just left. Service dept. closed already. Going to have to use the parts store stuff cause I'm going to Tenn. and SWMBO needs it to drive. If it don't stay on this time I'm gonna have the dealership stuff on hand and if that don't work I'll go to the windshield installer.

Thanks all!

Joe
    Joe
    ------------------------------------------------

Experience...is simply the name we give our mistakes.

Oscar Wilde
    .................................................. ..................