Thread: epoxy - for a restaurant table top

epoxy - for a restaurant table top

hello all,

i'm making some tables for a restaurant (ok, 35) and i want to do an epoxy finish - IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THAT BEAUTIFUL BAR FINISH LIKE IN THE OTHER POST - and am looking for the easiest, most durable finish to use. yellowing isn't a big deal.

i am looking at system three clear coat and/or mirror finish. any comparisons out there to west system?

again, it just has to be durable and look decent - not perfect. and i'd like it to be simple, as i have to finish 35 of them. and no, i don't have a spray booth!

thanks!
    julie

I know West has a #207 hardener that's made for using their epoxy as a finish. I dont know if the System 3 flows any easier than West+207 or not. I used epoxy to finish my workbench but mostly used the regular #205 fast hardener. I did get a can of the 207 but I'm not too sure what I think. I didn't think it necessarily flowed any easier than the 205 yet did seem to go on thinner than the 205. I used it on the bottom of the bench and back rail. For the top I stuck to the 205. The smoothest, clearest coats weren't with brushing but spreading. I used the 4" square plastic spreader in the West kit, first with the notched side to spread it on, then the flat beveled edge to remove the excess and try and leave a light film. The early brushed on attempts looks anything but smooth.
    Use the fence Luke