Thread: Drill Bit Scraper Burnisher?

Drill Bit Scraper Burnisher?

Can I use the smooth shaft of a HSS drill bit to round over the edge of a scraper? Borg has a deal on $5.97 (I think) HSS drill bit sets, and I was thinking of epoxying a dowel on each end of one of the heavier bits and using it as a burnisher. Good/bad idea? I'm new to scrapers. Thanks.

Until I bought a burnisher, I used a screwdriver shaft. It eventually grooved the shaft, which is why I bought a burnisher. Don't forget that the length of a burnisher helps to keep your fingers away from a sharp edge, and helps to get finer control of the angle on the burr.

Simple Things Work

Hello,

You can make a burnisher out of any metal that's harder than the scraper. Some folks use a spent valve from a motor. Some use a simple case hardened steel scrap. As long as the burnisher is above 55 Rc or so it will do the job. A very light touch of oil on the burnisher is helpful. I saw an article one time that a guy just rubbed the burnisher beneath his nose and the oil on his skin was enough. Tage Frid uses the back edge of a chisel. It already comes with a handle Simple things work.

I greatly favor a real burnisher for two reasons. First, it is really hard metal. Second, it it highly polished. Both of these attributes mean that there is little chance of galling (or tearing metal from) the scraper edge. Galling makes for less than a smooth cut. The smoother the burnisher, the smoother the burr. Screwdriver shafts may or may not be hard enough and the chrome plating will eventually deteriorate. Drill bits are also variable in hardness. Using a valve stem from a car engine that has been highly polished is an alternative but, why not just get a burnisher?
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Reverb View Post
    Can I use the smooth shaft of a HSS drill bit to round over the edge of a scraper? Borg has a deal on $5.97 (I think) HSS drill bit sets, and I was thinking of epoxying a dowel on each end of one of the heavier bits and using it as a burnisher. Good/bad idea? I'm new to scrapers. Thanks.
    If the set is that inexpensive. I would bet its pretty soft metel (comparativily speaking). I would bet the scraper leaves marks in the bits. Which would indicate they would not be hard enough. Same thing for the screwdriver. Just becasue its a tool doesn't mean its hardened steel. There are other choices than some of the expensive burnishers. Engine valves being one of the shop made choices. I have a DC-10 engine mount bolt that I brought home to give a try. Only 6 hold the whole engine on so you can believe its very strong. The finish on it is almost mirror like (shank). I am betting its pretty tough. Will see when I give it a try.

Blog Entries
    Anything harder than the scraper will do. I used to use a screwdriver shaft till I got the Veritas doo-jobber for Christmas one year which gives very repeatable results of different angles.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ditto on the length...you want those fingers as far away from that scrapper edge as you can...remember what that burr does to wood? It makes short work of skin too!

I've tried drill bit's and screwdrivers as well, then just bit the bullet and bought a burnisher from Lee Valley.

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

Me, being a naturally frugal Connecticut Yankee, bought a HANDLELESS Hock burnisher from Highland Hardware for around $13, and stuck my own makeshift handle on it. Pretty it ain't, but the Hock burnisher is very round, very smooth, and very hard. RC-64 in fact.

If you can come up with a precision ground steel rod that hard made to accept a handle cheaper, then definitely buy it. Otherwise, consider a hock burnisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Me, being a naturally frugal Connecticut Yankee, bought a HANDLELESS Hock burnisher from Highland Hardware for around $13, and stuck my own makeshift handle on it. Pretty it ain't, but the Hock burnisher is very round, very smooth, and very hard. RC-64 in fact.

If you can come up with a precision ground steel rod that hard made to accept a handle cheaper, then definitely buy it. Otherwise, consider a hock burnisher.
    Think I need to make a phone call. Can't beat $13 for a decent burnisher. And give me a reason to make something.

Because my son is a mechanic, I use a push rod. Smooth, hard, and fits into a file handle, but also FREE!

If you have old broken carbide router/Dremel bits, they make a nice burnisher.

Drill Bit as Burnisher

In the last episode of Woodsmith Shop on PBS there was a section on sharpening including scrapers. If you go to http://www.woodsmithshop.com/guide/1...9-handscrapers
    you can find a free download on a simple jig that uses a drill bit for burnishing scrapers.