Thread: Power Feeder Woodtek vs Powermatic

Power Feeder Woodtek vs Powermatic

I am looking at purchasing either a Woodtek 8 speed 4 roller 1HP feeder or a Powermatic 4 speed 4 roller 1 HP feeder. Both are priced about the same. If you were buying which would you choose and why?

Thanks
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Huhra View Post
    I am looking at purchasing either a Woodtek 8 speed 4 roller 1HP feeder or a Powermatic 4 speed 4 roller 1 HP feeder. Both are priced about the same. If you were buying which would you choose and why?

Thanks
    Richard
    I like Steff in stock feeders. Not the cheapest but they are the best out there. But, since I seldom have the money for the best...I've been very happy with my Grizzly.

Doug

If Price is equal, I'd buy Powermatic as they have a better brand name and better recognition. I think that if both machines were for sale used in identical condition, the Powermatic would sell for more. Woodtek is not in the same class brand wise, even if the machines are identical.

Comatic makes both correct? Buy the cheaper one.

There is a 1hp 4 wheel Delta branded comatic feeder for $1006.50 shipped at tools-plus.com. You will be suprised how big these are if you have never owned one. I bought mine from there - the 46.50 shipping is a steal on this one. I have also seen the 4-wheel Delta go on sale at amazon for $899 shipped.

Here is a picture of a 3-wheel 1hp model.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 05-31-2008 at 10:04 AM.

Every feeder I've used (including the worst ones) had good adjustment mechanisms, stout steel posts and solid locking screws. THe critical factors that differ are wheel rubber type, motor class and speed range. These are subtle but important factors that make themselves apparent in use, and the better models have better wheels, better motors and better gearing.

Everything I've seen from woodtec line has been substandard in some way, and though I have no personal experience with their feeders I am suspect of their entire line based on the machines I have used. I have a grizzly 3 wheel and sure wish I'd spent the extra money on a steff, having used them at work. Grizzly cut a few corners to hit that price point, and while the machine works basically, the lowest speed is a bit high for some things, the cheap plastic hand wheels are fragile, and the motor has stopped cold under load during a long molding run. File the grizzly under good enough or better than nothing, but not great.

The powermatics I've used were O.L.D. and still ran great, can't speak to the new ones. I've given the deltas's a good look over and they appear well made too. Two devices being made by the same manufacturer doesn't mean its the same device.

My next feeder will be a 4 wheel variable speed steff. I've used one professionally and sure wish I had one now. I've come to the conclusion that with feeders performance out weighs any marginal savings in price. Wish I'd come to that conclusion a bit earlier.

While I do agree with Peter that the cheapest import feeders will give frustration in the details - broken handles, etc. - I would go for the 8-speed if it has the gear change lever as well as the motor speed switch. It is helpful to get a range of 4 speeds without swapping greasy gears.

I run 5 different brands of feeder. Univer and Holzher being the best, but twice as much money as the Maggi/Steff. The suspension and adjustments are much better. The Comatics are copies of the Steff type with cheaper motors and adjustment wheels and levers. You do get what you pay for, but the base minimum still works well for my production. You would also do well to look for a used feeder and upgrade the wheels. I see Steff 4-wheelers regularly on eBay and used equipment sites...
    JR

I have to agree about the Univer's, I have a 3 wheeler with variable speed and it's the easiest to adjust. Seeing as they're sold with Martin machinery I'd guess they have to be one of, if not the best. I also have a Delta 4 wheeler that's very well made with 16 speeds IIRC. But b/c of the different motor position the Delta is much more time consuming to adjust from horizontal to vertical feeding.
    Out of the two brands your looking at I would go with the Powermatic. If for nothing else then the name recognition/ resale value.
    good luck,
    JeffD