Thread: Krenov style - no chip breaker

Krenov style - no chip breaker

I recently acquired a 1.5" Hock Krenov-style blade without a chip breaker. I've made a couple Krenov sytyle planes with great success, but both had chip breakers. Apart from the obvious spacing differences, what things should I consider in designing this plane? Should I just try to track down a breaker?

I have just been through this question with three Krenov type planes.

On one plane I had the chip breaker, used it, and it works great. When I tried it without the breaker the Hock blade was still excellent.

On the second, I had a lot of problems with a thinner blade (1/8" High Speed Steel) but ended up with a wedge that put the pressure in the right places and it works very well. When I borrowed a Hock blade without a chip breaker, it went well.

On the third, I had the thinner blade again, and with a very strong cap instead of a wedge, it is very solid and smooth.

So, no you do not need a chip-breaker. If you have it, use it, but don't let the lack stop you.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I've made a few wooden planes with no chip breakers and they work pretty well.

The other thing that comes to mind, about designing things, is that if you don't have a chip breaker, you don't need to make a channel in the wedge for the screw head that holds the chip breaker and blade together.

I taught a class this weekend where we made three Krenov style planes bedded at 55 degrees with no chip breakers and all three worked fine.
    Charlie Mastro
    Mastro Woodworking & Design
    Joseph, OR

An ideal opportunity to make a high angle or low angle, bevel up plane. Krenov's, unless you insist on the exotic wood route, can be made for next to nothing and are a fairly fast and simple project. Making a range of planes that use the same blade, is fun and educational. The one you end up using the most, becomes the winner, or if you like more than one, you end up getting extra blades.

Bob

My favorite gents plane is a no chip breaker woodie along with a few others and if set fine are very good
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of making a few slightly different and seeing how they perform.