Thread: GO586 jumping on start up

GO586 jumping on start up

I got a GO586 a couple of weeks ago and finally had a chance this weekend to really put some time on it. It cut beautifully and I love having the long bed. However, when I start it up it jolts a bit. I think it's because there is too much slack in the belts. Does that sound right? If that is the issue are there any secrets to increasing the tension on the belts. The gravity method/ weight of the motor doesn't seem to be working.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

G0586 = Grizzly 8" Jointer?

If so, I have the same one, and mine definitely jolts as well. I was told this was normal, but have always been skeptical... hopefully somebody else knows better.

-b

I have a G0490 8" Grizzly jointer. I replaced the stock belt with a link belt. The thump on start up when away. The noise your hearing is belt. The stock belt is too stiff. I suggest doing the same.

Thanks, Russ. Nice name BTW. I figured it was the belt tension. I planned on replacing the two belts with link belts anyway. It looks like I've got one more reason to do so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have the same jointer - You're on the right track. Just know that the 586 uses 3/8" belts, not 1/2" ones. I have a bunch of 1/2" link belts and they plumb don't fit on them skinny pullies
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Blog Entries
    I have the G0490 as well. 3HP vs 2HP on the G0586. Link belts work great. I think Grizzly has the size you need.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've had a 586 for nearly three years now and its a good machine. More than likely the jump is indeed because the belts could be tighter, but putting more tension on them is no easy task. You need at least three hands and must stand on your head while doing it. Two of those hands would loosen/tighten the motor mounting bolts, while the third hand holds the motor in position while tightening. The other possibility is that the two pulleys are not in alignment. This is also corrected by loosening the motor mounts, so you have the same awkward procedure. Also, the link belts are a good idea.