Thread: Euro Saw's table top - What's the milled out square for?

Euro Saw's table top - What's the milled out square for?

I notice most European table saws (Martin to Minimax) have an approx 3" square or rectangular depression milled into the table top on the right side of the blade. What the heck is that for?

Hi, I believe that the recess was to make it easier for someone to get a hand underneath the panel as it was being cut so that the sized panel could be handled easier as it came through the blade.
    I can't remember if this recess is still included in the latest sliders from various manufacturers. I don't have that on my machine.
    take care,
    John

Noah

I've never seen that; my German sliding table saw didn't have anything like it. Can you post a picture?

"...the recess was to make it easier for someone to get a hand underneath the panel..."

Bingo. Hey John R. How ya doin? Long time.....
    David DeCristoforo

Hi David, You mean I got the right answer! I'm doing fine. Got back from a 7 month deployment flying the unfriendly skies of certain areas of the Middle East. Retirement is on the horizon. At 61 I'm getting too old to be playing Rambo.
    take care,
    John

"...a 7 month deployment flying the unfriendly skies of certain areas of the Middle East...At 61 I'm getting too old to be playing Rambo...."

Oooo. Fun! Maybe you are getting too old for the "Rambo" thing but not "Rocky"... At least it seems that's what we are expected to believe anyway. So once you retire you can either take up prizefighting or do some more of that nice woodwork....
    David DeCristoforo

John, that recess is on my S315WS from Mini Max. I could swear someone suggested awhile back that it was a place to put the arbor nut while you were changing blades so it didn't roll onto the floor or something like that... LOL

Oh, and welcome back to friendlier skies...unless, of course, you get the potty seat on JetBlue. hee hee. We'll have to plan to get together one of these days when you and your significant other both have your feet on the ground in SE PA.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    Noah

I've never seen that; my German sliding table saw didn't have anything like it. Can you post a picture?
    Sorry, I do not have a picture. I'm in the market for a sliding saw of some sort and have seen it on a lot of them
    N