Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The making of a woodshop with pictures

The making of a woodshop with pictures

Okay This process started January 31st 2008
    This is what it looked like when I started. See if you can actually find the woodworking machinery.
    01_Week_01a.JPG

05_Week_01a.JPG

06_Week_01a.JPG

This is what it looked like as of May 31st 2008

14_Week_08a.JPG

Today was to be the demo day but may have been delayed til tomorrow I will find out when I get home tonight.
    Last edited by Dave Lessley; 06-02-2008 at 5:45 PM.

Dave! Somebody stole your "stuff", and I say stuff because there was a lot of "stuff", and some tools that I actually discovered after looking. I'm thinking about printing the pictures to have for trips to the "throne." Kinda like the word find books my wife keeps in the bathroom. I can circle the tools as I find them.

WOW, You didn't find Jimmy Hoffa in there did ya? LOL Kinda like where's Waldo. I laugh because I was there with my place before I built my new shop.

How much did you make on your yard sale?
    Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    How much did you make on your yard sale?
    Dewey
    How many things did you find that you forgot you owned. I hate it when I go out and buy something. Then later on clean an area or open a box and find I had a whole boat load of it, and now have even more.

The bad news I have a 1500 square foot basement that looks just about the same.

Demolition did not start yesterday. Today it is pouring down rain. Not sure if they will get up on a metal roof to start taking things apart in this rain or not.

John,
    I rented a POD to store the machinery in during construction. I will take a picture looking in so you can see what was hiding in the shop.

Tim,

Jimmy no... but can't tell you how many mouse houses there were and the occasional dried up salamander.

Dewey,
    I should have had a garage sale as that is where much of the "stuff" came from. The need to accomplish this task in the shortest time possible did not allow me to process the sheer volume of stuff so I gave away or donated most of it and of course a couple of dump runs. It was a little uncomfortable in the beginning and then I kind of caught the vision and it got easier. I still have stuff stashed that needs to be gone through.

Ben,
    Oddly enough there were not many items I had forgotten about as I have sifted through this stuff trying to organize and fit more in. The part about not being able to find stuff and then buying more was a bigger deal than I realized. As part of the process I was making piles of like items. Hardware, electrical, plumbing to name a few. It was amazing how many boxes of deck screws I found.

The rule was anything that was saved had to be related to woodworking with in one generation. Things like welders and my beadblaster made the list as they could be used to etch glass, burnish wood or some other creative thing or weld metal stands etc.

Everything meeting the criteria that could be boxed up was inventoried and the boxes numbered. I only inventoried the boxes that related to the woodshop. At last count there were 43 boxes.

You have any pics of the trusses? I have never seen any done that way?? I used to sell pole barns and such when I worked at the lumber yard 20 years ago. All of ours were designed with the press plates and sat on top of the rim joists.

Day 3

Today they actually started de-construction. My wife is taking a few pictures through out the day of that process for me. Hopefully we will have pictures tomorrow.

Until then a few filler pictures.

17_Week_08a.JPG 18_Week_08a.JPG

Shot of the existing building from the south side and the East end which is the front of the shop.

19_Week_08a.JPG
    Picture of the home made trusses. If you look close on the left end you will see where it has split at the bolt. These were fabricated by the guy who put up the building.

21_Week_08a.jpg 22_Week_08a.JPG
    Couple of shots of the POD housing the woodworking machinery during construction.

Hey Dave,

Mind if I ask what size and how much that Pod is you got?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cadotte View Post
    How many things did you find that you forgot you owned. I hate it when I go out and buy something. Then later on clean an area or open a box and find I had a whole boat load of it, and now have even more.
    I have bought things I know I have, but I can't find!!
    "And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." - Red Green

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    Hey Dave,

Mind if I ask what size and how much that Pod is you got?
    Jason, go to PODS online site and you can call to get a quote. We got one when we moved into our new house.
    "And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." - Red Green

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES

Pod Costs

The size is 8x8x16

It's $153.00 per month. There were drop off fees Which brought it to $250 or 60 I don't remember exactly. And I think it is $69.00 to pick it up. They don't pro rate so you need to call in for pickup before your next month starts or you pay for the whole month.

End of Day 3

Day 5

I took Friday off to tap into the water line and run pipe around the ditch to where the bathroom will be. Saturday Day 6 I ran the dounspout drain and covered up the ditch. I didn't get pictures of the ditch covered up but just imagine mud everywhere as it was raining for two days solid and for serveral day before I started. When they stacked up the debri it is so close to the slab with the ditch I did not have enough room to get in with the tractor and push the dirt back into the ditch. Fortunately my neighbor has been bringing in dirt for around his place and has a couple of nice piles stored on a corner of my property. He said take all I needed so I drove over the slab and dumped it in that way. It was that or move all the debri. It worked out fine but had two twelve hour days working until dark.

They are starting the layout for the walls today. Hopefully we'll see something standing up when I get home today.

28_Week_19a.jpg 29_Week_19a.jpg

You gotta love it when the mess is gone and the walls start up!! Lookin' good! Do you have the underground electrical service in already? Makes me excited just watching.

You must be following the standard construction plan - every structure I ever built, it rained on the footers for a week before I could come up with the foundation!! I just thought that was the way it was for everybody!