Thread: Time to say Hello

Time to say Hello

Been a member for a long time. Real active on another site or two. Even posted here a few times. But never have checked in and introduced myself.

I've been turning off and on since high school. Was away from it for many years until my father showed me the pen turning he had just taken a class in. I turned some pens and was starting to really enjoy it when he asked if I would like to take a bowl class. I jumped all over it. I don't turn nearly as much as I would like to, but the time I do spend at the lathe is treasured time.

I turn on a Nova Mercury and a Nova 1624/44. Pens, bowls, and hollow forms are my projects of choice. Some of you I know, others I look forward to getting to know. One thing I've learned along the way is that turners are a great group of folks. I look forward to spending even more time getting to know all of you.

Doug

Welcome!!! These are a great bunch of turners. Look forward to seeing your work and learning from you.

Jeff

Welcome Doug, hope you'll find your spot here as well. Great group and plenty to learn from or share with.

Welcome Doug! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I would like to welcome you and your work here at the Creek. Pull up a chair sit a spell then get back up and get to the lathe, then take some pictures.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Doug welcome to SMC, a lot of guy's to learn from and share your knowledge with here. Can't wait to see some of your work....Bruce

Welcome Doug to SMC. Looking forward to seeing your turnings.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Welcome to the Creek, Doug! Glad to have you, and look forward to seeing your work.
    Back when I was looking for a small lathe to travel with, the Nova Mercury was one I tried to get. It had some pretty rave revues in it's day! I was disheartened to hear they had discontinued making it.
    Again, Welcome to the SMC!
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Welcome, Look forward to picking your brain for techniques.

Thanks for the welcome. The vase avatar is one of mine. Pimento wood about 14 inches tall. Discovered that my termite was not nearly long enough to hollow the whole thing. Have the larger/longer shaft now that will go all the way to the bottom if I get the round tuit to remount it on the lathe. LOML likes it and is worried that I will mess it up if I try to return it. She may be right. She usually is.

Welcome

Doug,

Welcome aboard, nice to hear from you. I'm wondering how you like your Nova 1624. I'm going to start remodelling my garage this weekend. Get rid of garbage, clean, organize, and build an enclosed space for my shop thast I can keep warm in Winter, and cooler in summer, so I can turn all year. I am thinking of the Nova 1624 because I never turn anything longer that a vase, normally pens and bowls. A smaller footprint would help manage the small work area. How do you like yours?

Thanks,
    Dan

time with a parent is so important, now and for ever... i am so glad you and your dad have turning in common and an enjoyable way to be together and make memories....

Welcome Doug - Look forward to seeing some of your work.
    David