Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw Stop Contractor's Saw

Saw Stop Contractor's Saw

I just got a good look at the Saw Stop contractor's saw. The local dealer has one on the floor. Man, that's a nice saw. Saw Stop applied the same approach to the contractor's saw they applied to the cabinet saw: heavy and very well built. It has cast tables - not pressed steel, and a heavy extension wing. The base is heavy and solid. The fence is very nice and works smoothly - like on the big Saw Stop. All in all, a very nice saw. It should be, it retails for $2,100. I've been trying to make up my mind to trade my Unisaw in for 3 hp cabinet Saw Stop. I really like my fingers and I figure a Saw Stop is probabaly the best insurance I can get for them, but it's a lot of money, even with selling my Uni.

Hank

I saw one as well looks nice but the one I saw had the stamped steel wings. Not so nice, Get the cast iron wings unless you are moving it alot. the roller base was also nice much larger wheels than the normal base which is a improvnment. The internals, quick changed riving knife, break, adjustnments looked similarto the cabnet saw. Looked pretty nice still not sure how I feel about the motor hangin off the back though.
    -=Jason=-

Looks like a nice "contractor's" saw. I particularly like the optional job site cart for mobility. But seriously, $2100 for a contractor's saw with a 15A motor? That must be for really expensive high end contractors. That would look great next to a new KAPEX!

I guess I'm asking does a $2100 contractor's saw have much place in the market? Will or can many actual working contractors justify that expense given the alternatives? Would insurance companies be willing to reduce WC insurance premiums for guys providing these for their crews?

I only paid a few bucks more for my PM66, and believe me its a good bit more saw than that one (though not very portable). Some of the saws I've seen guys use in the field these days are some real frightening pieces of work though. Be interesting to see how this one does.

I think the market will be a bit bigger than contractor-types. I'm a hobbyist, and I'd love a Sawstop. But anyway you slice it, $3500-4000 is just too much for me to spend on a saw, especially when I can get a perfectly good grizzly or steel city cabinet saw for $1100-1200, and a used saw for even less. It's not that the Sawstop isn't a nicer saw, it's that occasional hobby use can't support the price for me. I once saw an article that claimed the Sawstop mechanism should add a couple of hundered dollars to the price of a cabinet saw, and I'd be willing to pay that much more for such a saw. However, Sawstop apparently has been selling its cabinet saw as fast as they can make them, so the price is unlikely to come down anytime soon.

From their perspective, though, that leaves an untapped market of folks who want a Sawstop, but for whom $3-4k simply is too much. So the contractor saw is a good move for them. I can envision paying $2k for a saw (though I won't be anytime soon ), so now such a saw would be in the running if I ever step up from my current saw, even if it only is a fancier contractor saw. So I think this is aimed as much at the hobbyist types who want the Sawstop technology, but who can't afford the price of their cabinet saw, as it is at actual contractors. I do wish it were a hybrid, though. A choice between the aforementioned cabinet saw, and a hybrid with the Sawstop technology, even with an $800 price delta, would (for me) tilt fairly easily toward the hybrid. An $800 price delta between a cabinet saw and a contractor saw is probably goes the other way, even though I'd really like to have the Sawstop tech. But I'd still have to think about.

Geoff the one thing you are over looking is this saw stop is $$$ for a contractor saw but it also has the nicest features, probably better features than most cabnet saws. Nice table cast iron wings, quick change riving knife and guard, etc. Plus it is really stable before you look even look at the saw stop feature. I did not get a chance to see it run, so I don't know power and how smooth it is. I think this will really appeal to the tool guroo/hobbiest. But I do aggree the premium is high for just the saw stop technology.
    -=Jason=-

I may not lower your comp rate but it might keep it from going higher. I had a guy fall 3 rungs high from a ladder and broke his arm. My rates went up $10,000 a year for three years. if the saw has 1 save, it will pay for itself 10 x over.
    Dave

$2100 for a contractor saw seems insane. My big complaint with my contractors saw is the useless dust collection. Unless they found a way to make the DC as good as that on a cabinet saw then the price is way too high.
    I'd rather save some money up and get the sawstop cab saw, even if I have to save money for a few years.

The grizzly GO661 has riving knife, inboard motor, and under table blade shroud with dust collection hookup and costs $821 delivered to your door.
    Seems to me the target audience for the Sawstop is high school shop classes for which the attendant liability exposure would justify an $1300 safety device on an $800 saw.

Quote Originally Posted by peter de tappan View Post
    Seems to me the target audience for the Sawstop is high school shop classes for which the attendant liability exposure would justify an $1300 safety device on an $800 saw.
    Peter,

My dealer here told me that his biggest customer for Saw Stops is the public school system. I, personally, think that's great.

Hank

Just saw the new Sawstop contractors saw retailing for $1450 up here on Vancouver Island in BC CANADA.
    No matter where you go, there you are. B. Banzai

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Honeychurch View Post
    Just saw the new Sawstop contractors saw retailing for $1450 up here on Vancouver Island in BC CANADA.
    Really? At that price point it starts to make sense.

NIce saw, but, where do most of the injuries come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Knight View Post
    Man, that's a nice saw. Saw Stop applied the same approach to the contractor's saw they applied to the cabinet saw: heavy and very well built.
    Hank
    I've looked at them and also was impressed on how they are built. Very solid indeed. The sensor is also a cheap replacement, $75.00 I was told at Woodcraft. Thats less than my E-room copay!

However, my experience with table saws has taught me that the most serious danger posed by the TS is kickback. Lookup "The Big Splinter" on youtube.

Get a good guard (I love the Brett Guard), keep your body and hands in the right place, use push sticks and push blocks and you can operate the saw with no fear of getting hurt. After all, it's usually not the tool but operator errot that gets us in trouble. (Thats supposed to be a little humor folks!)

Steve

It Liability Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by peter de tappan View Post
    The grizzly GO661 has riving knife, inboard motor, and under table blade shroud with dust collection hookup and costs $821 delivered to your door.
    Yup, much cheaper than a lawyer!

Steve

Let me be careful here . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Knight View Post
    I just got a good look at the Saw Stop contractor's saw. The local dealer has one on the floor. Man, that's a nice saw. Saw Stop applied the same approach to the contractor's saw they applied to the cabinet saw: heavy and very well built. It has cast tables - not pressed steel, and a heavy extension wing. The base is heavy and solid. The fence is very nice and works smoothly - like on the big Saw Stop. All in all, a very nice saw. It should be, it retails for $2,100. I've been trying to make up my mind to trade my Unisaw in for 3 hp cabinet Saw Stop. I really like my fingers and I figure a Saw Stop is probabaly the best insurance I can get for them, but it's a lot of money, even with selling my Uni.

Hank
    Since I have already endured the wrath of the SAWSTOP fans, I will be careful here . . .

Why do you really want a SAWSTOP . . . have you had some near misses?

Only you can decide what you are comfortable with . . . but $2,100.00 for a contractors saw . and going from a premium cabinet saw . .uuum . . If the "implied" safety factor is that important to you, by all means go that route . . . But I would have to say at this point if you are buying it from a safety standpoint, this is good, that may be worth $2,100.00. Although, I would not sell myself short, I would at least go with the cabinet model, after all the first $2,100.00 will be spent in the name of safety . . . .

Don't get lax and forget to continue to use common sense when you operate your bandsaw, planer, jointer, drill press, lathe, portable circular saw or that eye sucking shop vac . . . yes my wife works for a hospital and they actually had a guy who "dislocated" eye in an attempt to get ants off of himself using his shop vac . . . I guess it's kinda hard to think when you are covered in fire ants . . . . they even had one guy that picked up a running mower to, "get this", hand it to his brother-in law over a fence . . . he dropped the mower along with 3 1/2 fingers . . . gotta turn that engine off first . .

Good luck on your purchase . . . me, I would keep the UNISAW . . . . and develop some strict safe work habits . . .

Don't forget, you still have watch out for kickback on the SAWSTOP . . .
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

The contractor starts around 1450.00 with the stamped wings and the regular fence..upgrades are the cast wings, the T fence and extension tables..sizes are 36 " and 52"..at 2100. i think it would be a 52 " with cast wings and all the whistles and bells...they have a mobile base and outfeed as well available..so you can kind of make the saw fit whatever price range ya want....I Got one to demo at a get together I had..and found it to be an extremly well made saw...close as I can figure the technology thing ..jumps the price about 500.00..but once you see that thing stop and drop that blade..you understand..those trunions and all the internal workings have to be very heavy duty to take the force they go thru and be able to return to a correct position...I did the demo 4 times and it always returned to correct alignment..Just FYI