Thread: dust

dust

I got a little 1hp Harbor Freight dust collector. The little roll on the floor type. I routed it through the trash can with good results. I don't want the big bag suspended from the 4 inch outlet as only fine dust gets by the trash can. Question is what can I fasten to the outlet that will filter out the residual fine dust. Right now I have a piece of panty hose with some pink insulation batting in it but upon start up I do see a dust bloom from the outlet. thanks

Are you saying that your DC exhaust is blowing through pink insulation???
    If so that has to be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard of, you would be blowing fiberglass shards into your shops air in large volume, basically making your situation far worse than not having the dust collector at all.
    I suggest you use a filter bag that's meant for the task before you do some real damage to your lungs. The heavy stuff that's ending up in your trash can isn't the threat, it's the smaller dust that you can't see that does the most damage to your lungs, as your body can't filter it out. Whether you use the filter bag that came with the machine or an after market version, I strongly advise getting something on that dc before you use it again.

JeffD

Seconding what Jeff said, remove that insulation immediately, microscopic shards of glass is potentially MUCH worse than wood fines floating in the air

I'd suggest looking for a compatible cartridge filter, or getting a 1 micron bag. It's the stuff that you can't see that will hurt you, the stuff you are collecting isn't really the dangerous part.

dust

thanks. I answered my own question by venting it to the outside. There was a convenient exhaust port in the garage door where I guess the former owner vented his car exhaust. Working fine now.