Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Makita 15" Planer - Help

Blades and Rollers

I had the planer delivered on Saturday morning. It looks like the rear roller had already been replaced, but the infeed roller has chunks missing. I definitely plan on having that one recovered, as opposed to buying a new one.

As far as needing new knives goes, I want to always have a sharp spare on hand. I don't want to be in the middle of something that requires a really smooth finish, hit a hard knot or piece of metal, and then have to wait a few days to complete it.

Hutch

Makita 2030 Rollers

I just picked up a beautiful 1981, lightly used, Makita 2030. Naturally, the original rollers need replacing( although they still work) because they stain the wood. I removed the rollers the other night and shipped them to the following company for reconditioning.

http://foresterroller.com/id5.html

Forester Roller Company outside of Atlanta Georgia.

They charge $80 each to recoat the shafts and stated that the compounds used are better them the original material. I should have them back next week to reinstall.

Scott in Ocean City, Md

Matt
    I refurbed a 2030 a few months ago. I had both feed rollers recovered, there was no rubber material left on either one. I had them sent to a company out in Oregon, they charged me about 75 each plus shipping. They cleaned them up nicely and they will probably last as long as the machine since they are made out of 70 duro polyurethane.

If you machine is the 2040, you should be able to get your blades here: http://www.acetoolonline.com/Product...rce=googlebase. Do you really need to replace the old ones or can you get them sharpened? MIne were a bit rusty but when I cleaned them up and had them sharpened locally, they were fine.

These machines are keepers. Very well built but you have to run them within reason. They wont hog off much material and they are noisey due to the universal motor, but they will do a very good job everything else being equal. You can take a look at some of the work I did here: http://picasaweb.google.com/aquino.b...ita2030Planer# If you have any specific questions, just ask.

Roller Dimensions

Hi,

I was hoping that someone with a micrometer could measure the diameter of the roller end that the sprocket is on. Mine is broke, and I know of a good quality machine shop that might be able to weld it for me, but am unsure of the shaft O.D., because of the wear.

If I need to purchase one, where is the recommended place to buy from?

Thanks,

Scott

Rpm

Hi Guys Again,

One more thing. Does anyone know the rpm, or should I say fpm this planer runs? I do not have a manual.

Thanks again,

Scott

rollers for makita 20 40

need to have to recover feed rollers can you direct me thanks glenn traut

Reviving an older threat - I recently picked one of these up from the original owner - the rollers are cracked which I expected, but mine has a dust shroud - from some of the earlier posts this doesn't seem to be a stock part? I also have the original owner's manual with parts diagram if there's still a need for one.

-- John
    "No matter where you go, there you are" -- Buckaroo Banzai