Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546 LastLast

Thread: The Great Morris Chair project

I do thru-tenons faux, after taking the totally lazy route of using dominos for all joinery. Go in maybe 1/2" with a mortise where the thru-tenon tusk is to come out, and then plug it with a short chunk, appropriately grained, that has been pre-chamfered at its exposed end.

That would sure make it go faster, Gene. Must... resist... more green tools...

Yesterday I finished the ottoman joinery and got them all dry fitted. Some general fine-tuning remains, as does chamfering and sanding. But I think I am shelving this project until the weather turns cold again - my outdoor hobbies beckon.

P1020923.20.jpg

Mike

Done(ish)!

Talk about being late to the party... Attached are some pics of my nearly complete sapele bent arm Morris chair. Thanks to Walt Caza, Tony Parent, Michael Peet and Rob Parsons for helping me through some spots and thanks especially to Walt for starting all this and motivating me (and others) to do the project. I think it turned out okay, but there were a ton of lessons learned for me.

There are a few little(ish) things to do. First, I need to finish... the finish. I used some Danish oil to darken and pop the wood a bit, but I will be putting on some wipe on varnish. I still need to build the seat frame and then decide what color leather to use. I found a few online color wheel apps where you can "sample" the color of the chair, then have it list complimentary or contrasting colors. These tools came up with some colors I never would have thought of (olive green, tan, burgundy...). Sorry for the dark pics - my basement shop needs a lighting overhaul. Any way I hope late is better than never. I sure hope this thing ends up being comfortable!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Thumbs up a quick nine? (updates)

Good Day fellow woodworkers of Sawmill Creek!
    The 7th anniversary of this story since my original invitation brings us here…
    I typed this out late Jun 6, but did not get it posted up until today.

I currently have 3 glad announcements to share into this story.
    But, I will share them in my next personal posting to this thread.
    Enough about me ... here's nine other names over 3 installments

There are endless glad details I wish to play catch-up with… (ketchup!)
    Let’s meet some of our latest ‘M’ chair group build contributors!?!

I am overdue But want to clear my “desk” of a few unresolved details.
    much has happened in this chair building story.
    Most of that has happened behind the scenes or by private exchanges.
    I will do my best to bring you up to speed.

Any & all updates by GMC thread sharers remain welcome & appreciated.
    It was the sharing of others, and the support of our story followers
    which allow me to gladly say, our Morris chair project indeed proved Great!

I am remiss in letting time get by me.
    I aim to do better moving forward as I am able.
    Please allow me to start with…

First:
    I would like to welcome Tony Parent from Vermont, in joining our ‘M’ chair story.
    He plans to build his twist on a Morris chair with live-edge details.
    Last we spoke, Tony’s wood for his chair did not live-up to his hopes.
    And so… his chair is simmering on the backburner, until he is “feeling-it”.
    If you want to learn of his unique signature in working wood,
    check out his Creek sharings! wild wild stuff!

Second:
    I am pleased to commend Mike Peet for his strong contributions to this story.
    The quality of his sharing, woodwork, photos and explanations was top notch!
    Mike has brought much value to our wood community & this story.

On-the-fly, if you have not tasted his workbench build thread here on SMC,
    I will assure you it is as inspiring as any wood project I have seen. - not enough people have seen it!

Link to SMC thread about Mike’s big, handsome workbench build. A Roubo!
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ild&highlight=
    Just amazing! yummy photos!

Third:
    First post ever to SMC, was to GMC!
    Very cool!! Good show!!

Warmest welcome to Kelly Holloway!
    Thanks for your kind words and glad you decided to share with us!
    Thanks so much for all of the photos you have shared.
    Kelly told me privately that all of this is new and unknown…
    and was struggling a bit with learning to navigate our forum & features.
    Everyone loves the notion of steam-bending hard-wood!
    Here’s hoping we see a little more from Kelly!
    Continued…..
    Last edited by Walt Caza; 06-07-2015 at 2:39 PM.
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Blog Entries

Thumbs up 4 to and through 8...

Fourth:
    Thanks for the update from Dennis Pickerl.
    Glad to hear from ya, and we eagerly await impending build photos!!
    Wow, a move and setting up a new work shop?
    pics of the ottomans he already made, can be seen in GMC thread linear mode post#566
    As you are jumping back into your chair build,
    Be sure to snap a peek, for the Creek!

Fifth item in which I am remiss & late:
    Thanks for the fine sharing by Gene Davis.
    Such a handsome, true-to-Stickley design, by AFD…..
    Wow, that fabric and chair are amazing!
    Gene will you perhaps field a question or two for our readership?
    Your shared chair shows 5 horizontal members on the backrest.
    How many of them are curved?
    Did you, by chance get any step photos at the bandsaw? Can we see them please?

Sixth:
    A tip of my hat to Mike Leung for showing his arched chair backrest in post #539
    Mike please reach out to me when you can if you see this?
    Mike has splashed-out with his own business & is travelling much & super busy.
    (Hope to hear from ya, I’ve been trying unsuccessfully to reach you!)

Seventh:
    Tip my hat to Bernie Briden for showing his chair deck! Post #570
    He employed sinuous spring seating, which we had not yet seen in this thread.
    Very cool & fresh content to expand our story. thanks

Eighth:
    Tip of my hat to Ben Martin for showing his webbed chair deck in post #541
    See Ben’s completed chair in situ, final destination, all ready for the end user.
    I just have to say out loud, that I love the lived-in real look achieved in post #578.
    Leather? Check
    Beverage? Check
    Remote control? Check
    That’s the real handcrafted deal folks! Working hard enhancing the home!

continued.....
    Last edited by Walt Caza; 06-07-2015 at 2:27 PM.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Extremely glad to see you posting again Walt! Thanks for taking the time to visit the Creek!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries

Thumbs up number nine, number nine...

last but not least.......

Ninth: big excitement!
    I want to try to clarify & correct my handling of Dean K’s pickle.
    Clearly I would not want to embarrass him! :P (it’s okay, we’ve become friends)

Dean was unsure about his ability to take on his own Morris chair build.
    I have said the same words in this story about myself.
    Early on, he shared with me that he got his act and courage together...
    and had started a bent arm Morris chair out of sapele.

I believed at that time is was wonderful that he declared he was starting his chair!
    Somewhere along the way, Dean got himself stuck-up-a-tree by a building challenge.
    That can-will-should happen to anyone pushing deeper into woodworking.

We figured it out & he fixed it & has nearly finished! We just did it privately and it was great!
    To clarify I will share just the technical solution gleaned from those exchanges.

Here is an excerpt by DK explaining his successful resolution:
    FYI, I fixed my problem. It was so simple in the end. I simply used my marking knife to scribe around the leg at the underside of the front leg.
    Then I used a chisel and cut a relief at about 1/16th deep (if that) making it a little deeper at the back of the leg since the gap was at the front of the leg.
    In effect, I made the leg itself into a second tenon (but very very slight at less than 1/16th.
    The gap is gone and suddenly woodworking is fun again!
    So thanks for all your support and encouragement!

If I was overenthusiastic in my delving into and shining light upon Dean’s chair building challenge,
    it was only an abundance of good will & intent. - not to in any way disparage eek!
    Times since I have regretted my aggressive efforts to resolve his obstacle.
    My heart was in the right place, to be certain, but perhaps my actions lacked insight?
    Ohh - how to contain such exuberance??

Over time I have decided that putting too-fine-a-point on another person’s problem… Is maybe not so kind?
    I meant to be kind, but maybe typing sometimes belies kindness and/or what-we-meant?
    In no way, at any time, did I mean to act in such a way as to embarrass DK.
    His challenge demonstrated healthy growing pains within beloved craft,
    and only good things were shown about him in their overcoming.

The thing that was not shown publicly, was the warm exchanges Dean and I have shared during & since...
    that time he painted himself into a corner in his home woodshop!
    Dean came, he dared to build, he stumbled, he corrected and Dean conquered!!

I admire the way Dean has overcome his own challenges in life & workshop.
    Well, if I thought back then, Dean starting his chair was wonderful…
    I now have the benefit of knowing his victory over hardwood is beyond wonderful!

It was with sunny pride that I first saw Dean K’s chair posted GMC linear posting#648.

I have learned that there is no such thing as… “late” to this party my friend.
    Dean wanted folks to know that he was not some clumsy craftsman.(obviously!)
    Our group effort and his ability overcame his problem long ago.
    It just never got posted & updated here. Just look what Dean did in his basement…
    Congratulations Dean!

He told me he would not have built his chair, if not for my efforts, which really rang-my-bell.
    So I showed Dean's chair beaming to my darling wife, and she was deeply affected.
    The realization of his chair is one of the many-amazing-things in my life.
    Her response upon looking-at Dean's accomplished chair,
    & learning-of my tiny role as catalyst may have been a little misty!
    Nat's reaction drove home for me the power of our sharing, and I may have caught a tear-or-two too!

Dean, I may have helped convince you to tackle this project…..
    But all of the accomplishment & tremendous execution of your gorgeous chair…
    Is all yours to hold yourself up tall & proud!
    You marched ahead bravely after serious health challenges!
    You marched ahead bravely in your basement shop!
    Such a wonderful example for us all!!!
    Congratulations! bravo bravo

Late is nothing old pal,
    And I say “ever is better than never!”
    Darn straight!

Wishing all of you peace and shop time,
    On we roll,
    Walt

Ps
    My 3 personal announcements will follow in this thread.
    I may try to clack-them-out one at a time…..
    I struggle to input so much typing.
    Head too fast/hands too slow!
    Last edited by Walt Caza; 06-07-2015 at 2:47 PM.

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Hey Walt...guess who moved to Michigan. Does the last name sound familiar? She dragged me along... http://media.wayne.edu/2014/12/01/la...-dean-of-wayne
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    Good Day Mr. Clabo,
    glad to hear from you!
    My big congratulations to the dean of nursing over at Wayne State University!!
    ... and her handsome hubby!

Well earned & deserved... we are thrilled for Laurie!

... and effective Spring 2015?

Hey! That helps my chances of maybe someday showing you how far my lil shop has come since I bought the building?
    Somewhere around here is a tiny thread largely unseen?
    whup! Found it - link to SMC thread about a Creeker visit:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ic)&highlight=

maybe I can parlay this into another workshop Creeker visit?
    thanks for checking-in GC!
    peace,
    w

ps
    I have always appreciated GC's support, and credit him for the sticky which helped this thread grow.
    He has served as a chair-thread champion, & a generous-of-spirit booster!
    thanks Glenn!

pss
    I dare you to be dazzled - check out Glenn C's profile for an album of his extremely talented photography - Glenn's view!!

Last edited by Walt Caza; 06-07-2015 at 3:19 PM. Reason: dug up an old Creek thread...

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Hey Walt, please there is no reason to explain anything about helping me out with a problem on the chair. As they say, most of woodworking is learning how to fix mistakes. What I learned from you and others was to not make the mistake worse by rushing off and trying some poorly thought out fix.

Now, on to more important things. I did not notice until just now you were from Windsor. I am originally from Detroit. So, is it safe to say you, me and Mr. Clabo are all Wings fans?!

Blog Entries

Thumbs up roundball not pucks & cups...

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Karavite View Post
    Hey Walt,
    I did not notice until just now you were from Windsor.
    I am originally from Detroit!
    ya Dean, we're cool.
    If you ever make it anywhere near your home town,
    I'd relish a chance to shake your hand?

But it is with regret that I must report I swore-off hockey in the sting of my Edmonton Oilers trading Gretzky(1988) to win a cup in LA.
    Yes, that is heresy for a Canuck! We did pull 4 cups with the Oilers of old!

Since the Bad Boy Pistons emerged in the late 80's, back in the real NBA - the man's game - I am a homer.
    I jumped ship to the Pistons in 1988, when they almost won it all!
    Detroit Pistons colours.jpg
    [short version of my big theory - they legislated out real defense of a driving player when they took away hand checking]

We have had 3 championships during my tenure as a dyed-in-the-wool Detroit Pistons fan.(89, 90, 04)
    I bleed Pistons colours and just know we shall rise again to relevance & title contention!

sorry Dean, I'm a pro hoops fan.
    I follow just one sport, just one team, and I will go down with the ship for my Detroit Pistons.

nice chatting with you,
    glad to be here
    Walt

ps
    I am sooo pleased that you built your chair, and now you have it to enjoy.
    May I suggest you never part with it?
    you earned it, and you deserve it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Walt Caza; 06-08-2015 at 12:33 AM.

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Bravo! I remember these as a youth. Are they comfy?
    I do things on a larger scale than most so please be understanding so I don't have to play my "Go Big Or Go Home" card.
    It's a Texas thing.

Thanks for the shout out and kind words, Walt. I was surprised to see my old bench thread get revived. I feel like I'm just treading water here as I prepare to enter my third season on this project . Glad to see you posting again!

I have started dusting off this project literally and figuratively, having gone through my lumber stash again to start picking out boards for the chairs. I believe I have a sweet pair of bookmatched pieces to use for the two sets of arms. I am leaning more and more towards the lamination as I see the steam bending as too risky.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. My next step will most likely be the chair leg construction. I think I will go with the more standard flat veneers for these, as the mitered infills were tricky and time-consuming, and these legs are almost twice as long...

More updates and pics to come as things happen!

Mike
    Last edited by Michael Peet; 10-08-2015 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Must stop posting from phone

The last few weeks I have been thinking about how I will construct the arms. My stock is only 5/4, so after resawing into three slabs and planing out the saw marks I don't see how I will be left with enough material to reach the 1-1/8" arm thickness. This got me thinking more about steam bending, although I have never done it before. So I have been getting ready for some experiments!

First I built a simple box, just a 1x8 and 1x6 cut down to about 40" and attached with deck screws (no glue). Inside there is a row of captured dowels to suspend the work piece in the steam. The door has some high-temperature gasket material around the opening and a stainless steel toggle latch. Not pictured at the far end is the steam input fitting, provided with the Earlex steam generator.

P1020927.20.jpg

My brother is an architect and has access to large-format printers, so he enlarged and printed the bending form template for me. I spent today building the form from half a sheet of 3/4" MDF. I made a starter template from a thin piece of plywood, then cut all the MDF on the bandsaw a little oversize. Then I used a router and bearing bit to trim each layer to size after screwing it into the stack. It was dusty work and I am glad it's over.

P1020926.20.jpg

I don't know if I will try to bend the whole arm in one shot or go for two steam-bent and laminated layers. I am thinking the two-ply approach might be the sweet spot; then I am only bending 9/16", just over half an inch, and the final lamination step may eliminate a lot of the springback.

Mike

15. Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post
    The last few weeks I have been thinking about how I will construct the arms. My stock is only 5/4, so after resawing into three slabs and planing out the saw marks I don't see how I will be left with enough material to reach the 1-1/8" arm thickness. This got me thinking more about steam bending, although I have never done it before. So I have been getting ready for some experiments!

First I built a simple box, just a 1x8 and 1x6 cut down to about 40" and attached with deck screws (no glue). Inside there is a row of captured dowels to suspend the work piece in the steam. The door has some high-temperature gasket material around the opening and a stainless steel toggle latch. Not pictured at the far end is the steam input fitting, provided with the Earlex steam generator.

P1020927.20.jpg

My brother is an architect and has access to large-format printers, so he enlarged and printed the bending form template for me. I spent today building the form from half a sheet of 3/4" MDF. I made a starter template from a thin piece of plywood, then cut all the MDF on the bandsaw a little oversize. Then I used a router and bearing bit to trim each layer to size after screwing it into the stack. It was dusty work and I am glad it's over.

P1020926.20.jpg

I don't know if I will try to bend the whole arm in one shot or go for two steam-bent and laminated layers. I am thinking the two-ply approach might be the sweet spot; then I am only bending 9/16", just over half an inch, and the final lamination step may eliminate a lot of the springback.

Mike

My experience with steam bending. your box might be sealed too well. the steam will generate a lot of pressure-if there is no escape it will either blow out the steam hose or blow out the sides. I'd get rid of the gasket and not latch the door closed to allow the pressure to escape for safety.

I've read that bending kiln dried wood is difficult so if you can get air dried wood that is better. I've only tried bending air dried wood with good success. the rule of thumb is 1 hour per inch of thickness of your stock. thats one our at 200 to 210 deg F. just drill a small hole on the side to accept at cooking thermometer and you'll be able to monitor the internal temp of your steam box.

I found it much easier to bend the stock if it was overlength. its difficult to get the last 8" or so inches of the bend to take if it is cut to length already. I would be worried about heating and bending the wood after you laminate as it would possibly compromise your glue joint?

I've found that the springback is about 10%.

I have a sauna and let my bent stock dry overnight in the sauna. without the sauna, I think if you dried it for a week still in the form, that would be good.

I think you will have good results if you have green or air dried stock.

I found this to be a good resource http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/usda/ah125.pdf

good luck.