Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another warm and fuzy daughter anecdote...

Another warm and fuzy daughter anecdote...

In a week and a half, our older daughter, Nastia, will be passing out of 6th grade and is headed to 7th grade (yikes!) in the fall. For various reasons, she needs some special services at school and that means she will be attending a different middle school than she would normally for where we live. A few weeks ago, she and another girl attended a big orientation day at the new school, but it was somewhat overwhelming to her with all the kids she had never seen before milling about, etc. (The Jazz Band concert was outstanding, however...Professor Dr. SWMBO and I also attended this event)

At any rate, Professor Dr. SWMBO and I attended a "transition" IEP meeting yesterday afternoon at the new school to meet some of the folks who will be working with Nastia next year. It was a very productive meeting and we all agreed that it would be a good idea for DD to have another, lower-key exposure to the school before actually having to show up there next September. Sooner rather than later was the rule since this school will be getting extensive renovation over the summer and the normal free access in August will not be available.

So this morning, Professor Dr. SWMBO and she left early for a visit and private tour before she had to be at her current elementary school for class. Time well spent and definitely a successful meeting for her under more low-key circumstances. Which brings me to the relevant anecdote after all this background...

During the tour, Nastia was very reticent to "stick her head" in the various classrooms she would be utilizing next fall...classes were in session and I guess she just didn't want to be noticed. I can appreciate that knowing how many kids are with change, etc. Incredibly, however, when they got to the woodshop, which she WILL be taking for one quarter next year ...she literally walked right into the room and engaged with the students working on their projects. Gotta love it...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-06-2008 at 5:20 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

She obviously felt "at home" in the woodshop Dad! Congrats! .....and a job well done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thumbs up It's great to hear that Jim,

~ your seeing the results of your effort and interest in your daughter as a good father Jim~ My hat goes off to you and to your daughter~ It's great when you see them take interest in something they enjoy and you had something to do with that, well, probably in this case ~ a lot. Looks like she may be teaching you some things some day ???
    Sincerely,
    Brian

I guess familiarity is key, huh?

So is she going to be allowed to do homework in your shop?

That's what you call early Fathers Day present.

i always love it when kids and parents do hobbies together...sooner or later in life that togetherness and the knowledge pay off...and i am so glad you gave her a chance to see the school again...you are very AWARE parents...keep up the good work...

Uh Jim. What are you going to do when the time comes that you want to use HER tablesaw, bandsaw, and planer? You know, the ones that are out there in HER shop.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

How COOL is that
    Definitely gotta love it!

That's great Jim! Jr. High is a big step, I remember how scary it was. She has a great support team (you and the Dr.), don't think she'll have that big a transition period. Wood shop was one thing that made going to school back then a lot easier.

Most EXCELLENT Jim!!!!! Hug Nastia for me and let her know that I said it will all be ok.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I'll tell her a hug is coming on your next visit, Dennis... But you'll have to wear your special "Prince in shining armor" overalls for the Princesses to gain an official audience.
    --

Oh Man!, Ya gotta love it Pop. Two thumbs up!
    Creation is a transfer of ideas to matter.

You and the Mrs. are doing the right thing in easing them into the new school and surroundings. Kids sometimes don't let Mom or Dad know what is going on in their heads, so keep up the interaction as much as possible.
    My girls went through 3 school systems in less than 12 months, so I know got to see first-hand what they went through. Jobs and relocation by the parents sometimes affect the little ones more than we think.
    Keep up the good work and relish the hugs on Fathers Day.

Mike, it's more complicated with Nastia as compared to most kids given her background. Our kids were adopted from Russia three years ago and she has some other diagnosis including PTSD that make it critical to insure she is comfortable and feels safe in her new school. Her IEP not only addresses the academic needs, but also the emotional and social needs that need to be met. Once the school district got things moving, it's been pretty incredible about the level of detail. One example is that they feel it's important that she stays with the same kids for the rest of her education, so they have commited the resources to do that...things like transportation since meeting that need means she not be going to our 'home' schools. (Our daughters will actually graduate from two different high schools...which compete against each other! LOL)
    --

It's great that she has such confindence in her shop abilities. Obviously that is the one place she didn't feel intimidated by others. You have given her a very precious gift in sharing your time and knowldge with her. I'll bet she'll be showing the class a thing or two next year!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra