Thread: Critique my turnings?

Critique my turnings?

Hello. I'd love some feedback (positive or negative) on some turnings of mine. There are others in the 'Won Something From Teknatool Thread', too. I use a 1624-44 which I bought in December of '07. Thanks - I appreciate all the info and other's posted works - have been picking up lots of tips here. Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike I really like your choice of woods on your bowl and platter. You just reminded me the wife ask me to make some candle holder for her last week. Keep up the great work...Bruce

Those are great looking pieces Mike. Really like the bowl. Keep'em coming.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Mike:

Very nice turnings - I like the selection of wood. What are the sizes?

Mike - a belated Welcome to the Creek!

As far as critiques, I've found that I always get better responses when I request a critique on a single item. When I have multiple items I usually get general comments instead of something to build on. Also, it sure makes it easier for everyone if you have a couple views of the item, dimensions and finish used, etc.

I like your bowl. Nice form to it and a great use of different woods. If I would have done anything different, I would have a smaller foot area.

The platter is an attention getter. Beautiful wood combination and would make a great centerpiece for any table.

The candle holder, while the wood is beautiful, is just a little busy for me. My personal tastes always say that simple forms are better - but that is just me.

Keep doing what you are doing and don't be afraid to experiment with form - it's how we all learn. Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Welcome Mike. I'm in agreement with Steve. One item and show different views. I think there is a sticky on this or if not you can search for it. It gives good info on requesting critiques. Not that it's a rule you have to follow to the letter but it gives you an idea of what to do and expect from those that know and those that think they know. From what you've posted it's looks good. I'm not all into the candle stick either but if you want to change my point to a plus make a free hand match for it and you've got a winner!

Thanks,guys

I really appreciate the critiques, fellow wood turners. When I first saw this forum, the main things that drew me to it was everyone's positive attitude, and willingness to help new folks to the craft. I know I just showed up, uninvited, but I come with an open mind and open heart to a hobby that is a very enjoyable part of my (and so many other's) life. I look forward to many communications and photo sharings with all of you. Mike

Sizes of items

Greg, the Ambrosia bowl is about 8 inches across by 3.5 inches tall, the small lacewood candy dish about 7 inches across by 1.5 inches, and the candlestick about 14 inches tall. Give or take. thanks for the comments, Mike