Thread: Gloves in a bottle

Gloves in a bottle

I bought this at some point and have tried it out over the last week or two. It seems too good to be true. No more latex or heavy gloves? I put the lotion on and don't worry about shellac, watco, BLO, etc on my skin. Anyone try this stuff? Am I kidding myself and causing some sort of irreparable harm?

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...,42551&p=10256

I wouldn't rely on it for primary protection against solvents, especially since you have no way of knowing if it gets porous until its too late, but if you are just worried about cleaning non-toxic grease and paint off your hands easily, then it works great.

Good for working in dirt...

...not so good for solvents and other things will suck the natural oils out of your skin.

I tried another brand with the same claims and ended up spending about $700 on cortizone creme from a dermatologist to try and repair all the damage I did to my hands.

Granted it was NOT the same product, I am a auto tech so I use stuff somewhat stronger than mineral spirits ALOT and I (for 20+ years) did not know what an MSDS was...

I would trust it for working in the yard, maybe a small quick project, etc but I would never trust it 100% for working more than a few minutes with anything containing solvents. They say it "lets your skin breathe"... I breathe in and out and so does your skin! It may be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I would be very cautious...

My hands still get deep bleeding cracks for no reason other than the damage I did to them using solvents while "protected" with a "liquid gloves" type of product.

Troy

"liquid gloves"

I don't know why this is cracking me up.... I'm thinking, how about "liquid socks"? Maybe we will even see a "liquid" product to replace toilet paper.... better living through chemistry... Anyone know what this stuff does to whatever it comes in contact with after you get it off your hands? Also, robbers might like "liquid ski mask".... And then there liquid con.... no... on second thought, I'd better not even go there!
    David DeCristoforo

If it keeps one's hands from turning brown when playing with poly glue, it'll be a winner!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    I'm thinking, how about "liquid socks"? Maybe we will even see a "liquid" product to replace toilet paper!
    It's called a bidet...
    -----

I'm with Troy on this...probably great for working in dirty environments, woodworking glue, etc., but I wouldn't use it as a primary defense against dyes and many finishes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There have been products like this around for some time now. Zep makes one and it can be gotten less expensively than what you are looking at. It is marketed to mechanics and It works reasonably well. Basically make clean up a little better.
    http://zep.com/products/products.asp...l%20Protection
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I could see it being handy if you were using polyurethane glue a lot to keep it easier to get off your hands. But then, I goop up my hands to keep from gooping up my hands....

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

My wife has some of that stuff somewhere. I used it out in the yard once when she got it - because she asked me to. I guess it did its job. I've never used it in the shop. I figure latex gloves will work better, if I'm worried about getting stuff on my hands.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

My wife got me some. When I remember to use it, it keeps my hands from getting dried out sometimes to the degree that the skin cracks), but I'm not smart enough to remember to use it regularly.

Nobody said poly glue had nitric acid in it, but it permanently discolors the skin just like the nitric acid spill I had in college. New skin replaces the stained skin in about a week, and nothing removes the stain. I wouldn't bet on anything protecting the skin other than a latex or similar glove as a barrier.

OK, I'll keep my regular gloves around then

Been thinking about this since i saw the OP, and I think I am as afraid of the liquid gloves effect on my epidermis as I am about the solvents effects.

I think I'm gonna order an extra box of nitrile gloves and skip the liquid gloves.

The liquid gloves themselves just feel and smell like a heavy duty lotion, like SPF 100 sunblock or something like that. Whatever its true protective abilities I wouldn't worry about the substance itself much. Actually, after doing a search it looks like they mainly market themselves as a moisturizer / beauty aid type product:
    http://www.glovesinabottle.com/

I used a similar product when I managed motion picture labs to protect my hands from harsh photo chemicals used in color film processing. I never tried it but the company that sold the product said that I could dip my hands in sulphuric acid and be protected if I applied the product according to the instructions.
    David B