Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radial Arm Saw Opinions

Radial Arm Saw Opinions

I am now considering buying a very awesome radial arm saw as a temporary table saw. I have used a radial arm saw (a junky Craftsman that I currently own) for ripping, crosscutting, and mitering. I didn't mind it a bit. Sure a table saw is more convenient, but at the moment I won't be doing sheet good, and I think I could manage with a radial arm saw. Has anyone at some point used a radial arm saw in place of a table saw? I personally don't have anything against them, and I would save up to get a tablesaw in the future, like 6 months down the road.

Now, this isn't any small saw. This is an old Delta/Rockwell 14" saw, and about a 20" crosscut capacity. I have seen it in person, and everything is dead on....absolutely beautiful machine. All the moving parts glide smoothly and effortlessy, and there is no play anywhere. I think I may be able to get it for $400....quite a steal. Here is the link to the modern day equivalent. And no this is not an exaggeration, this is indeed the monster tool that is available to me.

http://www.cpowoodworking.com/radial...=froogle33-401

Opinions??

Hutch

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World
    Quit asking questions and go get it before somebody else does.........................................hurry up and get going

JEFF

You've got 3 ph power available? (Or can get a phase converter).

If so - go for it.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Hopefully the one you have available to you would be single phase. My first saw was a Craftsman RAS. I built a complete set of kitchen cabinets out of ash and ash ply with it. Probably used a circular saw for the ply...too long ago and can't remember. I burned it up cutting concrete Pavestone retaining wall blocks, with a masonry blade in it. I think it was the dust that killed the motor. I have my Dad's older than dirt Craftsman now. Not sure I will use it much, but I'm going to set it up and plumb it for dust control, if for no other reason than it was my Dad's saw.
    So, yea, I'd go for it, as long as it is single phase. If it is 3 phase, you can get a decent contractor saw for the interim for less than the RAS and the convertor. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Matt,

On two occasions I used a RAS for an extended period when setting up new shops. The RAS was simply better for framing and shop carpentry than any thing else. BUT... both saws were quickly replaced with a TS and from that time on were used only for 90~ cutoff. I avoid most ripping operations (except dedicated ones) on the RAS.

The particular saw you mention is well worth owning. So... what are you waiting for??

Best!

-Jerry

Indeed

You all have confirmed what I thought. After seeing it I was impressed, but after seeing how much a new one costs I knew I should snatch it up. I have e-mailed the owner, and I hope to find out later today if I got it. I am so giddy. Here is a picture of it.

Hutch

P.S. Yes, this is 3 phase, but I will be getting a rotary converter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 06-08-2008 at 7:45 AM.

I think a RAS of that quality is worth owning (I have a DeWalt 14" w/24" cross cut) but not so much to replace a table saw. Ripping is the kicker. Its quicker, easier, and IME much safer on a TS. They used to make power feeds that fit the RAS for ripping and shaping operations, probably still do. You might want one if your going to be ripping a lot on this machine. There's a few good books and a couple of RAS forums worth checking out to avoid making any costly mistakes if this is your first RAS.

If your setting up a shop to do this professionally you might want to consider getting a table saw sooner rather than latter. Perhaps something like a TANNEWITZ!

I used a RAS exclusively for years. Most of our furniture was made with it. I now have a table saw which I do prefer over the RAS.

Good luck,

c

That's a sweet machine...'hope you can score it. While I'm not a general fan of the RAS, these big old machines are in a different league. I think I'd still be uncomfortable with any kind of ripping on the machine, but otherwise, if you have the space to really use it, it will be a great addition to your shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ripping on a RAS is the only shop operation that always induces a real palpable fear in me.

I still have mine, but these days I only use it for crosscuts that a 12" compound miter saw can't handle, I leave the rest to the table saw.

I know what you mean...

I have been doing ripping on an old junky RAS, yet even with 1.25" stock I have never had an inkling of pinching or kickback. Of course, a good long push stick is important, but I do plan on getting a tablesaw as soon as I can afford it. I just bought a planer, and I still need a jointer. So if I get the RAS, I will get the jointer next, then a tablesaw. Otherwise I will get a Grizzly TS and jointer.

Hutch

Do you have the thing yet? It's the bigger brother of my 12" Delta 33-890, which I'm very happy with. I don't think that ripping on a good quality RAS properly is any more or less dangerous than properly ripping on a good quality TS. I will admit that it is much easier to pick up an acceptable quality TS than RAS at a cheaper price.

Granted, I'm still newish to WWing, but I don't have a TS in my shop - no space when I started in a basement and now no space in a one car garage. I've got the RAS, a 14" bandsaw and recently picked up a guide system for my circular saw for sheet materials. The guide assembly I picked up within the past month. Before buying a fence for my bandsaw about 6 months ago I did all my cutting on the RAS.

Good luck with it! If you need to reduce overall weight to move it, feel free to unwire the motor (labelling which wire goes where as needed) and slide the motor off the carriage rails. It is not recommended to remove the arm assembly from the saw base if this can at all be avoided.

Some of my summer plans include rebuilding my RAS table - once this is done I'm going to work on an idea I have for a rip sled.

Hope you are able to get the beast! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    I have been doing ripping on an old junky RAS, yet even with 1.25" stock I have never had an inkling of pinching or kickback. Of course, a good long push stick is important, but I do plan on getting a tablesaw as soon as I can afford it. I just bought a planer, and I still need a jointer. So if I get the RAS, I will get the jointer next, then a tablesaw. Otherwise I will get a Grizzly TS and jointer.

Hutch
    My dad still has the Craftsman radial arm that I used to toss a board into a door and leave a hunk of luan broken out. I would love to have another RAS, but not for its ripping ability. I would use it with a dado stack for dados and half-laps.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Hopefully you got the RAS, those are good machines, I also would avoid ripping on one like the plague, (been there done that), but if your comfortable with it, then by all means.
    More importantly, as you will be getting a phase converter anyway, stop messing around looking at those toys in the Grizzly catalog and get yourself some real machines. For much less money than any of those knock offs you can equip yourself nicely with some great Arn. I can't believe you would go from looking at a Tanny to a Grizzly? Sit down, take a few minutes and think about what you want in your shop. For me the table saw would be first and foremost b/c of the work I do. From there you buy one machine at a time in order of priority. Most of my shop is used equipment, and for the money I spend you couldn't come anywhere close in quality with Grizzly or any other inexpensive brands.
    that's my opinion for what it's worth!
    good luck,
    JeffD

Ripping, and Big Arn

Yes, ripping on an RAS does make me a little uneasy. But I will make sure the kickback zone has a wall behind it, not a door or window, and I will stand to the side using a push still. Also, if I flare the back side of the blade out, just a few hundredths, it increases the safety. I have my junky C-man RAS setup like this, and all is peachy. But I would only set it up like this if I had a ton of ripping to do. I wouldn't want it that way on a normal basis.

As far as the Tanny tablesaw goes, I am looking for whatever will be effective. Grizzly's 1023 has a reputation as a good inexpensive saw, but I know it's no PM 66. I agree, I should be able to come up with some inexpensive iron, and I hope this is the case. There is a local used industrial machine warehouse, unfortunately, their table saws are out of my price range. I am poor and getting poorer, and there comes a point (very soon actually) where I may just have to take what I can get. I need to get my name out there, and I need a shop with tools. Believe me, I have been searching high and low, and drooling over many an awesome tool. But most are above my current means, and I may have to settle. Upgrading in the future isn't the end of the world for me. I truly agree with you, but my finances are draining faster than I can keep up with. I am only working part time.

Anywho, on the bright side, I am getting an awesome new 14" Delta/Rockwell RAS delivered to my garage on Friday or Saturday. I couldn't get it for $400, but I still am happy with the purchase. It's definitely a tool I will have for life. The phase converter may be a couple more weeks, cuz the money isn't quite there....but almost. Then I will be able to buy 3 phase equipment to my heart's content. And yes, my heart is oh so content at the mere thought of a shop full of big iron.

Hutch

P.S. OH MAN I CAN'T WAIT!!! Breathe, Hutch, breathe......