Thread: Crib Plans

Crib Plans

Has anyone built this or have opinions in general of plans from WoodStore.net? Are they very complete and/or easy to follow, or are they more like guidelines where I have to fill in all the missing blanks?

TIA Gordy

http://woodstore.net/3bedforallag.html

Gordy

Any of the plans that I have downloaded from Woodstore have been very good in my opinion. I just bought the Morris Chair plan a couple of days ago and it is very detailed and easy to follow.

Crib Plans

I built the crib using Wood magazine plans. I changed the sides and did slats instead of plywood.
    The plans are easy to follow and no problems were found.
    Hope this helps and good luck.

I have worked on a few, Good Angleo. DO NOT USE ANY SOLID SIDES ON A CRIB or crib bumpers these have been proven to be fatel in the past couple of years. 51 deaths last year. All slats or turnings, whatever your flavor. but you don't want the kid to fall agenst it and sufficate. Still baffles me that this happens but it does. Other than that just make sure your slat spacing is good I think it is no larger than 2" but google it.
    -=Jason=-

I built a crib for my son - go to my web page of www.mvjs.com/woodworking and you'll see it on the front page.

Things I'd consider changing I've listed, but will highlight here.

1) Make the legs thicker for a couple of reasons a) Add in screw points so you can have the mattress at the highest point when the kid is born. Then as the kid gets older and is able to sit up and stand, you can lower it. b) Instead of having just 1/4" steel rods for a guidance, I'd make key hole slots so a bolt can go into the side rail and hold together that way.
    2) Take a short cut and avoid making all the mortises, just cut a slot and then a bunch of spacers to put in between the slats. Worked for me and if you cut the spacers out of the top of the board, then you might have a very close match to the wood grain and avoid having something looking different to the trained eye.

Oh - put your name on it and sign it - you're kids will want that years down the road - hopefully.

Michael