Thread: Cedar Stump

Cedar Stump

I think this is one of the pieces that cost me the most. I turned this cedar stump about 6 months into owning my HF lathe. Back then the only tools I had were from HF and a Sorby midi hollowing tool. I looked at the Sorby and figured I could make one a lil bit bigger so I went went to work. I was impressed with what my 200.00 lathe had done and was sucked in. What will I buy next?????
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice. What's the size? So you made a larger version of the Sorby hollowing tool? How about a picture of it? Great work.

Don,
    The vase is 7 or so inches by a little over 3 at the shoulders. The inside leaves little to be desired and I wish I'd done a better job removing the tool marks. Back then I was tickled pink. I'll get a pic of that tool posted for you soon. I need to turn a new handle for it and line everything up now that i have a chuck for the tail stock.

Don here's the tool it was pretty easy to make. I did the neck on the anvil. I don't remember right off if I did it cold or hot. I ground the bottom side flat and then used a flat stone for the high spots. The cutter is a very old cut nail from around 1925-30. I did temper it. The holder for the cutter is a piece of round with a groove fitted for the cutter. I trashed my first cherry handle and turned this one really fast to finish the job. It's hickory but the hole for the tool is bored by hand and the tool isn't lined up. I'll get around to turning another handle one of these days. Sorry the pics are not very good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice job. Thanks for putting these on.

David, that vase is really nice and so is the tool. I made one on that order but with a straight shank and used a old drill bit that I cut off and reground. How did you temper that old nail? Heard several differant ways of tempering, heat it and let it cool, drop it in oil, etc.

The way i did the nail was after i had grond it to the shape i wanted. I heated red hot and quinched in min/veg oil. ( just because i have it already) you may want to use olive oil but never water. This makes the hard. Now I temper. I clean the nail and shine it with and die grinder or what have you. I took a piece of 1/4 or 3/8 flat and laid the cutter on this and held the flat with vice grips. I heated the bottom of the flat with easy very easy heat. you have to do this slow and watched the cutter to turn to a dark gold straw color then very quick drop it in my quinching oil. If you go past straw start over at hardening and try again. Hope i havn't confused you. ..........Will