Thread: Dust Mask

Dust Mask

Ok, I know we've beaten this topic to death, however we may have discovered why I've been so sick the past couple of years. I'll admit that I don't always wear a mask or have the DC running but when doing lots of sawing/sanding/turning I do. Found out that after 15 years of woodworking, problems breathing is why my father had to quit. I've only been doing this stuff for 3 years.

I started to compile a list of the common units on the market to compare them to each other. Its just an excel file and there are some empty spaces on the info that I couldn't find. Of course, the safety stuff I really don't understand, just copied the info. So if anyone can give me some insight on what TPH1 or THP2 really means, thanks!

Its going to take a month or so for the testing to be complete, but if buying something like this will help to avoid surgery then its worth the investment (of course the 3M is a little hard to handle).

Thanks again for any inputs!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-08-2008 at 8:32 PM.

Wayne,
    I have the standard trend and love it. I made 2 battery packs and just use 4 per each high capicity rechargable L-ion AA. I get around 10-12 hours per charge.

Bob

If you have a respiratory issue, you don't want something like the Trend or Triton. You need to invest in the NIOSH approved 3M or similar type respirators. The inexpensive (relatively speaking) Trend and Triton type setups are fine for "comfort", but they do not really protect you from the fines that at this point may be significantly more dangerous to your health.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dust Mask

I cannot open the excel file so I don't know what you are considering. However I would like you to have a look at the mask offered at this web site: www.totobobo.com. If you would like my opinion or like to talk about it let me know.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-6200-6000-F...bxgy_hi_text_b
    This is what I use. I don't remember where I bought the mask and filters because I bought 20 filters and 2 masks a while back.

You can get used to them fairly easily. You will not breath any harmful anything. Note that these are particulate only, not vapor.

Always wear them and always use your dust collector. You have one and only one pair of lungs. Getting a replacement is not easy.

Burt

This is what I use its really very light, no sign of microscopic dust inside the the shield so I believe it must be good, and it offers full face, brow,and head protection as well, which I believe the others are not tested for, its also far more comfortable to wear than the others, which makes you more incline to use it all the time, hope this helps.

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Heal...spirators.html
    David

I have the Triton and 3M Breathe Easy.
    I don't realize the Triton is only 95% until reading your xls file. The down side of Triton is the battery is built in with the blower unit. You can't have a spare battery charged up ready for exchange. Someone has posted that the extra blower with battery is not very expensive. It has enough air, but not as much as the 3M. Or may be because of the full head wrap around helmet that retain more body heat, it doesn't feel as comfortable as the 3M in hot and humid days.
    The Breathe Easy is expensive and has more filter choices, from HEPA to organic matters. The helmet and face shield are very substantial, looks like they will be able to resist some impacts (not scientific, my opinion only).
    Bill Grumbine is using the 3M Air-Stream which has the blower inside the helmet and wearing the battery pack in his pocket or belt.
    Air-mate has similar design as Triton with blower and battery in one unit, but the battery is removable. It has HEPA filter only.

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...tors-papr.html
    Gordon

Wayne I use the Trend Pro, it is comfortable, good battery life. The TPH1 and 2 refer to the filter type and I've attached a link to a pdf file I found that might help you understand. Sorry I'm getting a error on the link, can't get it to work. I googled what is TPHI and 2 ? About 4th down on the 2nd page I found a pdf file that explains the different uses of the different filters. Sorry I couldn't link it. The file was to large to upload.
    Last edited by Bruce Pennell; 06-09-2008 at 9:45 AM.