Thread: Primitive (distressed) hutch corner hutch (pics)

Primitive (distressed) hutch corner hutch (pics)

here's some pics of primitive furniture that I build. The pics have a glare from the flash on the hutch at the top, It does'nt look like that in person.
    I curently have both of them at a antique/primitive shop
    My wife loves the primitive look for home decor and she got me started in doing primitive furniture and other primitive decor.
    I use my own designs and I don't use any plans, Every piece is unique and one of a kind.
    Jim

Last edited by Jim Ketron; 04-13-2004 at 7:38 PM.

Geez, they look old and battered. It looks like they could use some TLC, strip off the old finish and clean them up real nice.

The corner hutch's massive stiles add an interesting beefy-ness to the profile that sure looks dated.

In other words, I think you've mastered the old and distressed look! Congrats! Do you have any more angles of these fine pieces?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris, I didn't get many pics of them the shop was closing when I deliverd them. And she has them decorated with primitive items on it now.
    Heres one I built for my wife for her B-day
    thanks for the reply
    Jim

I recently took a few pieces out of my grandmothers home when she passed away that are very old and very distressed. You could tell they were built using whatever scraps of wood where in the house at the time, and none of the rails match...all the shelf brackets are mismatched and some are nailed and some are screwed. Part of it is painted and part is not, it has pencil scarting all over the sides where someone was measuring something. All in all its a mess....had it appraised at 1800 bucks. my wife and your wife would get along fine..when I saw it i thought...its not worth emptying it out and dragging it up the stairs and out of the house...she looked at it and said...get this out of here before the estate appraisers get here....we took 4 pieces like that and they grace our home nicely. In other words...you done good!!!!

Very nice Jim. My wife likes that kind of thing too. Do you have any particular method for distressing the pieces?

Dean

Good looking pieces Jim! Is that Milk Paint I see? (Federal Blue, perhaps?) The wide stiles on the first piece, as Chris mentioned, are quite period. I built a cabinet like that once, and decided that I didn't like it, as large items could not be put into the case. It's my hypothesis that the wide stiles came about for a couple reasons: 1) wide wood was quite plentiful and 2) you could get by with only making 1 door instead of 2!

Do you every use wavy glass? Could you, at a high level, go over your distressing procedure please?

I have a feeling that with the addition of a couple lights placed strategically, these pieces woould REALLY look good in a photo. They are just a bit dark for me to appreciate all the details that you have worked hard for.

Thanks for posting! Todd

Magnificent! These are really great, Jim. Perhaps you'll talk a bit about your finishing and distressing process for us all to learn from.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Todd My camera is a cheep one that came with a printer. I need to buy a good one that takes better pics. the burgandy corner hutch I was trying something different than the blue hutch. I didn't know how it would look but I have recived a lot of good replys at the antique shop.
    Dean, Todd, Jim
    I use a lot of different techniques, but what I did on these projects I paint a light undercoat of black (just enough to darken the wood) Then the top coat.
    I distress the edges with sandpaper (randomly, more on areas that would see more abuse from use) then I go all over with steel wool to do light distressing to let some of the undercoat to show through. The paint is regular spray paint.
    Thanks for your replys
    Jim

You Do Amazing Work, Jim

You've got a great eye. Thanks for sharing. Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ketron
    here's some pics of primitive furniture that I build. The pics have a glare from the flash on the hutch at the top, It does'nt look like that in person.
    I curently have both of them at a antique/primitive shop
    My wife loves the primitive look for home decor and she got me started in doing primitive furniture and other primitive decor.
    I use my own designs and I don't use any plans, Every piece is unique and one of a kind.
    Jim

I really love this piece! Excellent job Jim!
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

Jim, really nice pieces. The finish is great and the overall look is truly antique. Thanks for sharing.

Jim,

I love seeing unique threads like this, especially ones that garner interest.
    PM me if you're interested in writing an article-

(That goes for all of you!)
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator